• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke Completes a Helicopter.

Thanks for the great story Frank. I still think you should do the whole unit. That would be a great tribute to your service as well as to your fellow troops in your unit. Thank you for your service Frank.

I am currently working on a UH-1M.
I purchased the Cobra 27 inch blades to make the Italeri UH-1C into an UH-1M.
The unit had 12 OH-58A's, 8 UH-1D/H's and 10 UH-1M's.
Two of the Mikes were combat vets. Bird 266 had a fuel leaking problem from gunshot wounds.
After a long flight fuel would be dripping fuel on the ground.
The oldtimers said not to worry, on the trip home it would fix itself.
Bullets would work their way out of the fuel cell on the flight, then work their way back in on the return flight. The state finally found a new fuel cell for it in the early 80's.
The units Mikes also had tailbooms debonding.
They found 6 new booms in a warehouse left over from the war.
I had a great time crewing those birds. Gun runs were the best.
Frank

Fantastic. I need to find that thread to watch you do this conversion.

Thanks again for those stories on those combat birds and the experiences you had with their idiosyncrasies. I love hearing stories like those.

I got the decals on the next two helicopters I'm building. Pics will go up sometime later in my Manufacturing Thread.

Back