• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Australian SAS salutes Platoon Update 10/25/10

Re: The Australian SAS salutes Platoon Sandbagging

Hey, gang
I approved an extended leave for the Brav0-6 figures while I begin to tackle Academy's M113A1. Step one was to sandbag the floor using Legend's M113 Accessory Set. I must say, it's packed full of goodies. The packaging says it can be fitted to the Academy, Tamiya and the Italeri kits, but the sandbagging required a bit of trimming here and there to get a proper fit. However, it was nothing extreme. Nonetheless, they MUST be test-fitted because you can't insert them after assembling the interior. I found that it worked best to assemble one side, insert the sandbags and then assemble the other side after making the required trims.

IMG_0711.jpg

The sandbags are molded with notches that wrap around the bench supports, but, like I said, you'll have to test-fit and trim to make it work.

Sandbag1.jpg

You'll also have to test-fit and trim the sandbags to clear the engine compartment walls.

Sandbag3.jpg

Sandgabe5.jpg

The sandbags under the driver's seat, although notched, will need to be trimmed to allow the joy sticks and gas pedal to fit properly, not to mention the engine compartment walls.

IMG_0713.jpg

Because of the required assembly sequence, the painting and weathering of the interior will take some time and patience. I forsee some close-in fighting with this kit in my future. I haven't glued the engine compartment walls, yet, which I hope will make applying the numerous decals a bit easier. I can pull them out, paint, weather, apply the decals and drop them back in.

Peace and Love,
DioRandy

Re:The Australian SAS salutes Platoon Sandbag Update

Looks good Randy and sounds like a good plan. I like some of the interior details better than the tamyia kit.

Terry B)

Randy,
Looks like you got a good start on this squad.
Keep posting the pictures, I'll be following this one too.
Shawn

Randy,

Lookin' good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

James

Re:The Australian SAS salutes Platoon Update 10/25

Hey, gang

Here's a quick update showing the progress I've been able to make over my three-day weekend, which I devoted entirely to modeling. I took a much-deserved Monday off.
I took some closeups of the figures, but my camera remains more advanced than my photographic skills. I'll continue to work on those, as well as my painting of skin tones. Andy made it look much easier than it really is, at least for me, anyway. Nonetheless, I vented my frustrations by resuming work on the ACAV.
I chose to paint the interior Tamiya's Ski (XF-21) and let the debate over what color was actually used continue into oblivion. Some say White, some say Seafoam Green. Sky appears to be a good go-between.
Here's the gang sporting their Vallejo Basic Skin Tone, with a dab of Flat Flesh for the eyes and a hint of Cadmium Umber Red for the lips, which looks good to my aging eyes, but the camera makes them look like a bunch of cross-dressers who forgot to wipe it off before reporting back to base. Oh, well, there's another debate regarding "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

TheGang2.jpg

Here's some pics of the ACAV's interior, blanketed in the aforementioned Sky. At first, I thought I'd created a detailing disaster since I'd have to painstakingly paint the seats, sandbags, etc. However, I plan to fill it with a myriad of ammunition and supplies, which will cover a major portion of the interior, including the sandbagged floor. Therefore, I'm not going lose any sleep over it.
Many of the mechanized troopers opted to ride on the roof of the vehicle soon after witnessing the devastating effects of running over a mine or being hit by an rpg, anyway. At least they had the chance to leap off and head for the nearest ditch or make a dash for the surrounding jungle.

ACAV2.jpg

ACAV1.jpg

ACAV7.jpg

ACAV5.jpg

ACAV6.jpg

Re: The Australian SAS salutes Platoon Sandbag Update

Looking good Randy!!! The interior color looks fine. I think the color debate is poo! I'm sure that the early production M113's had white interiors, but most had the Sea Foam. It really depends on which veteran you talk to.

Terry B)

Re: The Australian SAS salutes Platoon Update 1025

Thanks, MrT

I agree. If I can locate the missing pieces of the Tamiya ACAV I built a few years ago, it sports a white interior. I intend to use that one to show the effects of running over a mine. Therefore, all bases are covered.
And, as you can see, I'm not going to lose any sleep regarding the overspray of Sky on the ACAV's exterior. It'll be masked by the OD, weathering and a collection of equipment and supplies. Try to get away with that on one of those wingy thingies.

Hey, Laura
If you look closely at the last two pics of the ACAV I just posted, you'll notice the figures in the background looking like characters from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, complete with zombie eyes and ruby red lipstick.:laugh:
I need another talk with Andy when he returns from jolly ol' England.
Peace and Love,
Randy

OMG!! You're right!! They need to be mangled a little more. :laugh:

Terry ;)

WOW Randy ! This is taking shape !! Th collection of Figures ... Rock-On :ro: , I'll be keeping a close Eye ! Great job so far. If you can Tone down th Drag show I think you'll be over the Hump !!

Great Start !

ERIK

Hey Randy how's this project coming along? Have not seen anything for awhile.

Terry :D

Eh What did someone mention my name ????????

I think youve done a great job on the figures, Randy old chap, just some minor tweaking as regards the faces, mate, honestly a very easy fix

We shall chat next week when im back in the burbs :)

Hey, guys
I hate holidays!!!
In my industry, you have to put your entire life on hold through the holidays due to work committments. It sucks trying to schedule and execute five days of service to hundreds of customers in four days for two weeks in a row, especially when some of the customers are closed for more than one day.
It was even harder this year, because my 27-truck fleet and 30 drivers decided to act their age, which is old and decrepid -- myself included. Even I had to lace up my old work boots, get behind the wheel of a truck and run routes after driving a desk for the past year.
Well, we finally "gotter done" and life is beginning to get back to normal. However, the weather people have just forecasted a stretch of brutal cold, which may claim the lives of a few of my veteran vehicles. Oh, yeah, did I mention I despise winter, too. I should have stayed in Florida instead of returning to the Great Midwest. I'm an idiot.
Peace and Love,
Randy

Really looking forward to seeing this project come to life.

Terry :D

:unsure:

I can't see any of the images at my work PC. If Terry says your Bucket is awesome, I believe it as his was fabulous.

Regards,

The Australian SAS salutes Platoon Update 1/19/11

Hey, gang
I have been working on this ... honest I have. So, here's a quick update.
I've painted most of the interior details, applied the interior decals and begun the weathering process.
I decided to really dirty up the interior after having spot checked a few of the route trucks in my fleet. They can get extremely dirty, dusty and grimey without ritualistic cleaning.

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

Re: The Australian SAS salutes Platoon Update 1/19/11

Look great Randy!!!

Terry B)

Back