• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya: Panzerkampfwagen 35(t) Completed!

Re: Tamiya: Panzerkampfwagen 35(t)

I wouldnt be put off by the popcorn, just its a very interesting little build. Looking great and the brass does add to it. Nice to be reminded that simple inexpensive little additions can dress up a kit just as well as complex expensive add ons can. (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

No doubt- I proved to myself last week that I cannot handle PE- so scratching works better for me.

This is a nice little tank- love the tailpipe and the quick fix on the blast expander or whatever the barrel end is called...

And not to push this in another direction, but if needed how can you rot a tailpipe?

:popcorn

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

This is the method that I devised (idea I stole from somewhere else, but I can’t remember where) for assembling the tracks. After cleaning them up with a small sanding stick, I blackened the individual tracts with Blackenit®™ before I assembled them. I was trying to avoid a problem that I had read about that occurs when the glue masks the track links from the blackening solution and you end up with bright spots that have to be painted.

The jig for assembly is a couple of strips of wood glued on a base. It will hold them snugly enough that they will stay in place but lightly enough to easily move them as required. I made a stop block jig to pre-cut the wire to make the pins.

So the method is it assemble up as many the track links as you like, chase the track pin holes with a micro drill, and then drop in the pin and glue. Nothing new under the sun!

There it is,

Bill

links_1.jpg

The stop-block for cutting pins. A magnet is used to catch the cut pins.
link_2.jpg

link_3.jpg

:popcorn you :popcorn me.

Tracks fitted and a (tiny - don't hurt your eyes looking for it) bit of brass added to the tools where bracket detail was missing.
Thanks again for looking.

Bill

Ontracks1.jpg
ontracks2.jpg
ontracks3.jpg

I think that the coolest idea for making tracks I've seen. Thanks for that tip.
James

No wonder why Tamiya released this under their label, it is a nice kit! OK, I have three with all the bells and whistles but you are showing that a mostly OOB kit looks good too!

Regards,

Thanks James and Saul.
I hope I can do the kit justice when it comes time to paint it.
I resized the "tracks fitted" (three posts previous) photos and added another for your viewing pain/pleasure. :laugh:

More (electrical wiring) later,

Bill

Been at work, so missed this update. Looking mighty fine, I like where you're headed! (y)

lovely tank! one has to love those little early war fellows! :D

great work bill! looking forward to paint! :popcorn

Thanks Bob, Mike and Laura!

I'll work on the wiring this week. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the support.
I see you all have the large size container, ( :popcorn )so you can get a refill for free. :laugh:

Have a good week everyone,

Bill

While this kit is mostly “out of the box”, the instructions tell the modeler to install some 0.3 mm material (not provided in the kit) to indicate electrical wiring. I found some brass wire in my stash (1/64”) to be used for this purpose. The brass wire was soft enough to bend, but springy enough to hold its shape and not go all floppy. I pre-drilled the lights and horn (prior to installing them) with the appropriate sized drill to receive the wire. A little thin super-glue applied with the eye end of a sewing needle, and it’s ready for primer.

Shaking the primer can,

Bill

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

v199

Very nice work!!! I love that wiring.

B)

Thanks guys. no point in keeping anyone in suspense over primer.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I took a tip from Glenn Bartolotti and used automotive primer this time.
(You: “What?”) I know! I couldn’t believe it when I read it the first time either. Now what am I going to do with this $14 mini can of Mr. Surfacer? Any way, it works very well (In my opinion). It dries fast, flat, and thin with no more loss of detail than anything else that I have used. I also picked up some white and rust-brown (at $4 a can) which seems to perform just fine as well.

I am generally pleased with how this came out. I think the wire adds a nice (and different) level of detail that you don’t get with styrene, or even photo etch. I will try to add wiring to future builds (when appropriate).

Check out Glenn’s site at: http://mysite.verizon.net/ressi2si/armormodelsbyglennbartolotti/ He has some good downloadable SBS tutorials available for a couple of dollars a pop.

I’m going to put this build on hold for a while. I need to practice my gray paint and weathering on an old Tamiya Horch 4x4 that I have been working on.

Thanks for looking,

Bill

wire-primer_1.jpg

wire-primer_2.jpg

wire-primer_3.jpg

wire-primer_4.jpg

wire-primer_5.jpg

v221

Thanks guys!

Tic, … Toc .

I sprayed a base coat of Tamiya’s XF-66 (light grey), XF-63 (German grey) @+/- 50:50, a a couple of drops of the XF-18 (medium blue). I tried to apply successively lighter coats to the centers of panels and from above, to minimal effect. It then got a wash of raw-umber oil and rectified turpentine.

35t-1.jpg

I then did some drybrushing over the upper hull, wheels and sprockets with Humbrol #126 (Us Med. Grey).
I’ll let this dry up well, and then mask and spray the white crosses.

35t-2.jpg

35t-3.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Bill

Back