• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TAMIYA MERKAVA MK.I - Lebanon 1982

Have you considered using a white decal stripe? Stays straight that way and you can paint the highlighted areas. Just a thought. :drinks

Have you considered using a white decal stripe? Stays straight that way and you can paint the highlighted areas. Just a thought. :drinks

No Mike I did not! it has wirked well but I think your idea better, that is more than an hour of tape-work involved in that silly stripe!

Hwy all! With the new job really sucking up time, I am not able to get as mchh done as might prefer, but still in there, chipping away! here are a few pics of the tank with 'stuff' in the bustle rack, about ready for weathering!

This last one shows the f\kit figure, which oviously 'needs work!' Just seeing how he fits in the hatches. I think I am going to 'spring' for the CMK commander I see out there for the other hatch.

Plodding along!

Looking pretty good there!

Academy has an IDF Tank Crew Set #1380 too. Those figues look to be pretty good. I'll check and see what's in the kit box.

You get 4 full figures and 1 half figure. You also get tan googles and binoculars.

http://www.model-making.eu/zdjecia/0/6/2/104_rd.jpg

http://www.model-making.eu/products/Israeli-Tank-Crew-Set.html

Take a look at those and if you want a couple of the figures for your Merkava let me know and i'll send you two of them.

Cheers

Nice job Bruce ... Trust me I know the trouble of not being able to complete the project's ... Carry on ... :soldier

Nice job Bruce ... Trust me I know the trouble of not being able to complete the project's ... Carry on ... :soldier

I gotcha Swordsy! I have several things going at once at the moment and two on the shelf of doom, so I really just concentrate on whatever interests me at at the time. I have been getting into the Merkava lately. here she is decaled and sealed, ready to start the weathering process

No, I still haven't figured out what I am going to do about the turret position or the figures, but that Academy set tankbuilder mentioned seems really nice:

www.model-making.eu/products/Israeli-Tank-Crew-Set.html

So along the way I got sidetracked and decided that I was going to go with the two kit MG's and the big Ma Duece at/on the barrel mantlet (I found pics of a few Merkava Mk.I's in the late ,82-'83 time frame so equipped. SO I got to work on the set from Legend, here they are in rough layout, with basic paint work

I realized that in that Verlinden set of Israeli equipment was a MAG58 (US inventory M240 Golf) and the more I looked it over, the more I realized that it would look cool in the loaders position, again as I have seen in some of the same tanks as the M2 barrel arrangement, so I pulled the ammo box off the kit MG and built/painted the gun cradle for it. When I get closer to completion I will pull the kit gun from the swing arm assy and finish building that onto my MAG58 (sorry about the poor pics)

and lastly there is M2 50 cal Heavy machinegun. Here it is with the ammo belt installed & my wire-twisted barrel handle, close to completion

Still quite a ways to go but getting there!

Looking pretty good there!

Academy has an IDF Tank Crew Set #1380 too. Those figues look to be pretty good. I'll check and see what's in the kit box.

You get 4 full figures and 1 half figure. You also get tan googles and binoculars.

http://www.model-making.eu/zdjecia/0/6/2/104_rd.jpg

http://www.model-making.eu/products/Israeli-Tank-Crew-Set.html

Take a look at those and if you want a couple of the figures for your Merkava let me know and i'll send you two of them.

Cheers

thanks man! I will send you something shortly!

Ok so got quite a bit of work done, both great and so-so, here it is!

Started with a wash that I saw on youtube of a product for Warhammer figures called Sepia (paid too much for it, but the result was still nice):

Then I used the dot filter technique. This actually went pretty well, would perhaps not been quite a subtle, had I not done the wash before, but on the upper hull it came out lokieng very nice indeed:

So in episode 5 of Adam Wilder's series on techniques he uses washes to produce shadow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsk9Tn33a5g

Now me being me, I did not have this wash product on hand, so I made basically the same using artists oils. here the end result was either just right and the capillary action pulled it in, or I got it a bit
too yhick and as I removed it (such as between the side panels and on the wheels) I took a bit too much, basically removing the hard work of the wash and the dot filter. So I have some touch up here. Nothing insurmaountable, and not too shabby - for my first go

Ok this last pic shows that since the Sand Grey paint was supplied, I have never done any weathering to the turret ring. Although all this look subtle, when you see the stark difference between the ring and the remainder, it really gives an idea how far this has gone

So that is where I am so far. Doubtful will get anything further done tomorrow, but really enjoying the ride!

The effects look good, just keep using varied colors and build up layers in areas of heavy use. (y)

The effects look good, just keep using varied colors and build up layers in areas of heavy use. (y)

Right you are Sir! As you can see I have 'missed' some areas that are under the turret or behind cables, oops! I am going to go back and get these for sure, also, my next part is going to be creating paint chipping and some wear in hi-traffic areas like the hatches, mounting points, and obvious walkways

I have to say it....enjoying the ride!

Ok got the dudes (AKA: CREW) in!

I was going to call this done, but as I have been seriously consiering trying my hand at a base on this one, & have yet to weather the antennae, mostly 'cause I think I am going to hang an Israeli flag there, I think I am going to post where I am. But anyway, this is pretty dad-gum close, just some touch up and the dullcote to go!

In this light the skin tone has a really pinkish hue! It is not that pink, trust me, otherwise lookin' good

Thanks to the very generous timeline on this build, I now think I am going to take a break on this onthis one and jump to my little A-4 Skyhawk. 'Til then!

Back