• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Fw190A3 in 1/48 scale

wds

Yes, this one.

fw190_box.jpg

This one has occupied top queen status in my court for some time.
I think I have had this kit going on twenty years. I used the line drawings from the instructions as a reference to draw panel lines in Sharpies on a RC slope glider that I built at least 18 years ago.

FW190-17.jpg

FW190_foam1.jpg

FW190_foam2.jpg

I think that I glued the fuselage sides together, glued the landing gear into the wheel wells, and then put it back in the box where it slept till now. I worked on painting the cockpit at the same time that I was working on the Me109 recently finished and posted here.

FW190-1.jpg

I encountered a small gap in the joint between the top of the wing and the fuse at wing root. Seems to be a fairly common problem on a lot of models. I didn’t want to try and fill it with putty and sand it. I found that I could support the wing tips from underneath and push down on the top of the fuse to close the gap, but I could see a disaster there as well. I solved it by spreading the fuse with some scrap sprue. I had to glue in some blocks first so that the spreader bars could push on something flat (being that the point that I wanted to spread it is at the curved wing root. Picture =1000 words.

FW190-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill...nice solution... :good: ... 190 , btw , one of my favs...

Best!

Luiz

Thanks Luiz. One of my favorites too. I don't know why it has taken me so long to get going on this. :idonno

The canopy was masked and installed, the wheel wells previous painted were stuffed with tissue and taped off as required. Primed it with Tamiya surface primer. The bottom and fuse sides were painted with a mix of Tamaiya white (X-2), light blue (XF-23), and light grey (XF-66) in a recommended ratio of 7:1:2.

Something that I have just started to do (you guys have probably been doing this forever), is to mix up a model size batch of any mix that I will be using on a model in an old paint jar and save it for use thoughout the painting process. This is a big help for post-shading (just darken, or lighten your mix in the airbrush cup) or for touchups.

The panel edges were randomly darkened, or lightened to give some contrast.

I masked some of the acces covers with liquid mask and over painted the surrounding area with a darker post shade.

FW190-4.jpg

FW190-5.jpg

Here I’m applying the liquid mask with a fine paint brush, and masking for post shade.
The girls have gone shopping, and I have reasserted my dominance over my domain by working at the dining room table where it is warm. :frantic If that’s OK? :blush: :laugh:

FW190-3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Bill

v16

Thank you Christian. B)

Thank you, Luiz!

Some progress.

I tried to use the MFR suggested paint mixes, and I found them too dark. I also tied to “free-hand” the camo borders (for that soft look) and it looked no better for trying. ( No pictures. Trust me it was not worthy). I lightened the colors, and masked for a hard edge. I don’t know if this is worthy, but this is what I’m going with. The post shade is a little harsh (unrealistic?) but it should tone down in the weathering stages.

Thanks for taking a look.

Cheers,

Bill

FW190-6.jpg

Very interesting Bill, I like it, I think you're right as you weather it up it'll blend well. :popcorn

Thank you Christian. B)

Thank you, Luiz!

Some progress.

I tried to use the MFR suggested paint mixes, and I found them too dark. I also tied to “free-hand” the camo borders (for that soft look) and it looked no better for trying. ( No pictures. Trust me it was not worthy). I lightened the colors, and masked for a hard edge. I don’t know if this is worthy, but this is what I’m going with. The post shade is a little harsh (unrealistic?) but it should tone down in the weathering stages.

Cheers,

Bill

FW190-6.jpg

Bill, I'm not sure I understand about the post shade . The pre shade should show through the acrylic Tamiya paint .

At any rate the weathering should help blend things .

Cheers, Christian

Thank you Christian. B)

Thank you, Luiz!

Some progress.

Cheers,
Bill

FW190-6.jpg

Bill, I'm not sure I understand about the post shade . The pre shade should show through the acrylic Tamiya paint .

Cheers, Christian B)

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Christian.
The post shade is just an attempt to break up the monochrome of the base camouflage colors. Just a little variation at the panel lines for some visual interest. I didn't use the traditional preshade (dark shadows at panel lines and raised detail) prior to the camo coats. I hope that passes for an answer. :blink

Thanks for commenting. Feel free...

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you Christian. B)

Thank you, Luiz!

Some progress.

Cheers,
Bill

FW190-6.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Chris you'd see shading like this in a lot of armor stuff. I think Bill suffers from the same preshade affliction, just doesn't work for us. :bang head

Ok …that was all very confusing. Sorry for my instigation.

Here is where this thing goes.
The chin cowel and the rudder got their yellow party colors, and the fuse was mottled freehand with a mix of RLM grey(XF-22) and white. The whole thing was given a clear gloss coat (X-22)-(This (clear coat) is working better for me than the futre method. The future always wats to bead up and not wet-out.?)
Ready for decals. Bam!

Thanks for looking, :side:

Bill

FW190-8.jpg

Thanks again Luiz. I appreciate your continued support.

This version had the all white crosses, so I decided to spray them. The Tamiya decals are rather thick and don’t sit down in the panel lines well (IMHO) which keeps the pinwash from flowing in. I hope this helps. I used artist frisket (clear and low tack) over the decal sheet and cut it out with a new no.11 blade. There was a little bit of paint creep under the edge on the second use of the stencil. I think that I just rushed it.

See ya down at the field.

Cheers,

Bill

FW190-11.jpg

FW190-12.jpg

FW190-9.jpg

FW190-13.jpg

v80

Back