• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Chieftain and Centurion

cb1

Just finished a couple of vehicles.
The funny thing about this web site is that when you see somebody else do something, you get in the mood to do the same thing.

So first off, back in 1985 when I was stationed at Ft Hood, I picked up the Tamiya Chieftain. The only paints available to me were US Army Olive Drab in spray paint. Yup "offical" OD in a can. haha and I had a greyish tan paint that I can't remember where I got it. And of course gloss black. LOL :blush:
This was the result of the effort. Note the OD wool blankets that were on my bunk.
mod1_28329.jpg

Flash forward to 2012... <whew!>
I picked up the Chieftain again and decided to give it another try.
This time with Tamiya NATO Green and other "proper" colors. B)
IMG_5425.JPG

I chose the monochrome scheme because my airbrush broke and I'm saving for a new one. so for the time being I'm kinda stuck with spray paint in a can.
Next up is the oldie Tamiya Centurion. Again, mono-scheme. Note to make, never pause to answer phone while doing the wash. :blink it kinda messed up the turret, not terrible, but it looks like water stains instead of a even wash.
IMG_5424.JPG

I used a metal barrel for this kit.
Now I just have to add some antennas and I have the verlindan 1980's crew for the Chieftain.

IMG_5420.JPG

Thanks for looking!

tamiya paints. I tried and it started to get to the base coat. I'm gonna try drybrushing some of the base coat on top to see what happens. Good thing it was a sub $20 kit. LOL

I would always do washes in opposing mediums, like a clear coat of acrylic then an enamel wash. That way you can wipe away excess days after application.

They do look good though, I like them! :mpup

Good call on the dry bush, that would add depth to it as well. (y)

You can use oil based washes on Tamiya or tamiya washes on oil based paints but i use water based washes with a touch of washing up liquid so they flow. You can simply wash them off and start again if they go wrong and when happy just give them a clear coat.
Like my Chieftain second entry down.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/call-to-arms/126830-call-to-arms-completion-thread

That is all water based washes inc the tracks.

I truly like the Chieftain on the OD Wool Blanket. THe blanket looks like dunes in the desert. The Tamiya Centurion has the same Mk III turret that was used on Andivor Kalahani's 1973 Centurion. Kalahani is a real Israeli hero.

BTW, did you know that the Israelis helped alot in the designing of and the development of the Chieftain? They were going to buy them once production started but the Arabs persuaded the Brits not to sell them to the Israeils. Amazing what you can do when you control the oil.

Lovely looking models though.

Cheers

We couldn't make enough of them !! Half the production for the British army went to Iran, what we got was an inferior version with Chrysler torque flight gearboxes that were not up to the job. All Rolls Royce engines were set aside for the Shar,
British Chieftains based in Germany were designated as field artillery because they were so unreliable. In the event of a Russian attack their remit was to sit in a hole and act as fixed artillery. They had a dozen rounds each and the crews were told to fire this and make their own way back to the French coast and try and cross to the UK.

We couldn't make enough of them !! Half the production for the British army went to Iran, what we got was an inferior version with Chrysler torque flight gearboxes that were not up to the job. All Rolls Royce engines were set aside for the Shar,
British Chieftains based in Germany were designated as field artillery because they were so unreliable. In the event of a Russian attack their remit was to sit in a hole and act as fixed artillery. They had a dozen rounds each and the crews were told to fire this and make their own way back to the French coast and try and cross to the UK.

NICE! Would have been another Dunkirk.

I have two Tamiya Chieftains. One is built and painted as if it were in Israeli service thought it'sa totally different mark. The other is still in the box awaiting being built and added to my British 'C' Cruiser tanks.

Cheers

Ain't nuthin wrong with rattle cannin' if you know how to pull it off and it looks like you did :v
Nice builds cb1 (y)

Tim

I remember, when I was building my first Tamiya Chieftain just after it came to North America, reading the instructions short history of the Chieftain and discovering that the real tanksevenhad tea brewing faciliies inside it. I recall thinking tthat that was neat and showed how important Tea Time was for the British.

I'll be watching this with interest.

Cheers

Back