• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DF-17 Hypersonic Missile

jknaus

Administrator
I got the new Takom DF-17 Chinese Hypersonic Missile a couple of weeks ago. This is a very simple kit with 2 sprues and 1 instruction sheet with 2 steps. The painting instructions are on the box using Ammo of Mig. White, and then 3 shades of green to make the base colour. The kit is the warhead and the launch vehicle. As this is a collaberation I sont think we will see the TEL come out.
1661635198961.png

First shown in 2019 the missile is a short range ballistic missile. The big change is in the warhead that is hypersonic. It is worrisome to the U.S. and others because of the low level, high speed, variable flight path which makes it very hard to track and target. There are some videos on you tube about this missile.
The kit is very simple which was awesome for me. I have not been able to do as much modelling as I have wanted. I built it at the dining room table which meant I only had to go downstairs to my shop to paint it. I was very happy with how it turned out and it actually helped me get in the groove so that I spent about 3 hours this morning bulding a SA-10.
I did not have the Mig paints so I mixed some Tamiya Dark Green with a greyish blue by Mk. I eyeball to get the colour I thought it should be. Sprayed nicely. Unfortunately I did not paint far enough forward so when I painted the white I had to paint an extra section behind where the white should end. It was easier doing that than trying to match the green shade I originally painted. The next problem was with the decals. A whole 2 decals are provided. Too easy, how can one mess that up?? Dont ask and i wont have to lie. So this has no decals. As I am not sure what the exhaust colour should be I used Tamiya Old Aluminum.
Did it turn out great?? Not really but it looks good enough for the recce shelf so I am happy. I got mine at Hobby Sense in Winnipeg for about $29.00 Cdn.
20220827_150910.jpg
20220827_150924.jpg
20220827_150931.jpg
20220827_150940.jpg

James

Nice James! Yeah I've been reading a bit about our attempts at the type...my decals silvered a bit after the Future...but seemed to settle in after a flat coat.

Interesting! Is there going to be a vehicle as shown in the top photo for it in the near future?
No I dont think so. This was a collaboration with Snowman according to the modeling news. But who knows, stranger things have been produced.
JAmes

Considering how big this thing is, the vehicle for it would dwarf my 1:16 Pz III but that would be interesting...

I got the new Takom DF-17 Chinese Hypersonic Missile a couple of weeks ago. This is a very simple kit with 2 sprues and 1 instruction sheet with 2 steps. The painting instructions are on the box using Ammo of Mig. White, and then 3 shades of green to make the base colour. The kit is the warhead and the launch vehicle. As this is a collaberation I sont think we will see the TEL come out.
View attachment 152934
First shown in 2019 the missile is a short range ballistic missile. The big change is in the warhead that is hypersonic. It is worrisome to the U.S. and others because of the low level, high speed, variable flight path which makes it very hard to track and target. There are some videos on you tube about this missile.
The kit is very simple which was awesome for me. I have not been able to do as much modelling as I have wanted. I built it at the dining room table which meant I only had to go downstairs to my shop to paint it. I was very happy with how it turned out and it actually helped me get in the groove so that I spent about 3 hours this morning bulding a SA-10.
I did not have the Mig paints so I mixed some Tamiya Dark Green with a greyish blue by Mk. I eyeball to get the colour I thought it should be. Sprayed nicely. Unfortunately I did not paint far enough forward so when I painted the white I had to paint an extra section behind where the white should end. It was easier doing that than trying to match the green shade I originally painted. The next problem was with the decals. A whole 2 decals are provided. Too easy, how can one mess that up?? Dont ask and i wont have to lie. So this has no decals. As I am not sure what the exhaust colour should be I used Tamiya Old Aluminum.
Did it turn out great?? Not really but it looks good enough for the recce shelf so I am happy. I got mine at Hobby Sense in Winnipeg for about $29.00 Cdn.
View attachment 152936View attachment 152937View attachment 152938View attachment 152939
James
Can't help but notice that if you launched the missile it looks like it might get that Albatross mid fuselage...😜

Back