• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero (Zeke) IJN

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends,

An oldie but goldie, at least in my opinion.

h4317600.JPG

This is the great Tamiya 1/72 model of the Zero, a particular favorite of mine. The details are impressive per se, and with the PE Details from Eduard even better. I will be modelling the airplane used by Lt. Saburo Shindo onboard the IJN Akagi belonging to the 2nd. Strike unit (AI-102).

I am looking forward to using the new techniques and tricks I have been learning from you. This time I will be using Mr.Color Acrylic instead of WEM Enamel, let's see if I can pull it out. Unfortunately no airbrush...

As always, thanks for looking and for your comments/critiques.

Cheers,

Alex

hf3300db.JPG

h7fc6a18.JPG

h7182b85.JPG

h83bdc61.JPG

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I am quite positively surprised with the Tamiya kit. Excellent in almost all aspects. The detailing is great and with the PE even better. I screwed up the flaps in the wings but I am on my way to fixing it. In any case, here is some progress for you:

h3ddc89b.JPG

h6d2c3dc.JPG

h2aa42c1.JPG

h51f843a.JPG

hc06a4e1.JPG

h11913ec.JPG

ha6788d6.JPG

h0db1749.JPG

h7d36a08.JPG

h13d654b.JPG

Not sure what that mess is from but I feel sure a surgeon can fix that :good:

Wow, Alex, I can see improvement from one build to the next :woohoo:

Keep up the good work. Cheers, Christian B)

That mess is from a MAJOR F... up - I assumed that the PE for the flaps were the same as the Hasegawa model, in which you have to remove the flaps from the BOTTOM wing; in this Tamiya model they are located in the UPPER wing. Very dumb. :bang head :bang head :bang head :facepalm :facepalm

But nothing that a bit of bone wax cannot solve. :hmmm

At least the rest looks good IMHO. I got my Mr. Color paints today and I am looking forward to using them. We shall see!

Cheers

Alex

I think it was glue in exccess... :hmmm ,but it is easy to solve!...keep up the good work :good:

Best!

Luiz

That would not be the first time I have done similar things :blush:

On the positive side, I have gotten pretty good at making repairs :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

So dear friends,

here is my attempt at solving the mess I caused.

hb02e549.JPG

I am using a surplus (expired) bone wax. Works wonderfully - just pre-heat it a bit and mold it.

h18cd5c0.JPG

he9e0d1f.JPG

After that, just need to wait for it to dry and when it does I will re-scribe it. It shrinks after use so you always want to leave a little "extra". Smoothing with a normal thinner also helps.

h093adde.JPG

h90d42d8.JPG

What do you think?

Cheers

Alex

Looks usable from here :good: We'll know better after some paint though .

Of course you realize that this product got the best of my curiosity and I had to Google it :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Back