• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zero Akagi 7-12-41

Decals in the works. Is it me or are Tamiya's decals a little on the brittle side?
Zero001-1.jpg

Zero002-1.jpg

Zero003-1.jpg

I had hoped to finish this up before I go back to work Monday, but it's slow going with the decals.

Might be old decals Greg, ran into that with the old 8Rad, really old kit. Doesn't look like it gave you that much trouble. You still got that Champs decal solution?

Might be old decals Greg, ran into that with the old 8Rad, really old kit. Doesn't look like it gave you that much trouble. You still got that Champs decal solution?

I think you're right Bob. I checked the copyright date on the sheet....2002! Something to keep in mind on the next one. Oh yeah I still use CHAMPS. I usually get good results with it, but these decals took up to 10 doses or more to settle in. I think I may have to break down and get a bottle of Solvaset for some of these more stubborn sheets.

I was lucky in that I was able to fix the foul ups but boy I'm glad to be done with the decals. I'm down to the fiddly bits and should have pics of the finished product later today.

All done! Got a couple of pics in the completion thread but here's some just to finish out this thread.

Zero004-1.jpg

Zero005.jpg

Zero009.jpg

Zero010.jpg

Zero011.jpg

Zero012.jpg

One of the decal issues I had is obvious on the prop tip stripes. I got two out of three looking ok but the third beat me. Oh well...... it's just a model.

All done! Got a couple of pics in the completion thread but here's some just to finish out this thread.

Zero004-1.jpg

Zero005.jpg

Zero009.jpg

Zero010.jpg

Zero011.jpg

Zero012.jpg

One of the decal issues I had is obvious on the prop tip stripes. I got two out of three looking ok but the third beat me. Oh well...... it's just a model.

Very nicely finished Greg . You might consider taking some of the shine off of it but very nicely done (y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Back