• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/32 Mk XVIe Spitfire

Paulw

While I have built a couple of these Tamiya Spits in the last few years I have rarely taken the time to do things with out so much as a rush to get something completed. I bought this from a hobby shop that got it through an estate sale and I pretty much got it for a song.

I bought an A.M. seat and a set of valve covers with the Rolls Royce logos before I even got into it. The seat came out too big for a 32 scale seat and the valve covers seem to fit just right. I don't have any clue if the Merlin 266 had covers with logos on them but to me they look just right. I spent some extra for the Eduard zoom interior set because I messed up the kit ip and to tell the truth it looks ok to me.

I went back to the kit seat and even though the color doesn't look right I had to leave it because it is as close as I could get with what I had.

I am going to need a bit of tiding up in the seat but I need to be careful doing so because I think the parts are held with a hint of a baby's breath.

I did, however, drill out the plug holes in the cylinder heads in hopes I can get some plug wires run.

some basic black

I must say I didn't have any problems with the engine as I had on the last set of kits. Goes to show what paying attention and slowing down will accomplish.

The left wing root was the only real problem I had in fit but it really wasn't that much of one.

Hopefully I can get this completed by the first Tuesday in June (club meeting).

Looking good Paul (y) Not that anyone will care and I'm no Spitfire expert but I'm pretty sure the Merlin 266 was built by Packard. I have no idea whether Packard embossed their name on the valve covers or not. Maybe the originals were damaged and replaced with RR covers ;)

Looking good Paul (y) Not that anyone will care and I'm no Spitfire expert but I'm pretty sure the Merlin 266 was built by Packard. I have no idea whether Packard embossed their name on the valve covers or not. Maybe the originals were damaged and replaced with RR covers ;)

Quite correct, Gary. The 266 is a Packard build and the Mk XVIe, as far as I know, was the only spit to have them.

With all that has not been going on here at the house I took the time to add a little bit of detail to the engine in the way of ignition wires AKA copper wire. It did take me a bit of time to find some that is close to the scale diameter and trying to get it all together took a bit of time as well.

I had the engine mount and all the provided plumbing stuck together in about two hours and then I managed to shoe horn the block into the mount but I must say that it does look a bit off keel to me so tomorrow I will go by and see what I can do ti straighten things up a it before I go any further with the project.

I only have about four or five parts to add then I can say the engine is done, unless some one sees something I don't.

Looking real good Paul! I find that sometimes it work best for me to do a little and set it aside till the next day as well. Been doing a lot of that with some of my builds lately. Build for a bit and then "That's enough for now."

I really like what your doing! Going well! (y)

This is really one of the most enjoyable times while modeling a subject that I like. When it gets to looking like the subject that it is intended to be. Just a few more parts installed and no real issues so far. the engine exhaust went on with out a hitch and the frame work around the engine seems to be settling in pretty well. I also got the tail feathers in place as well as the flaps and ailerons.

I am hoping for a real nice finish.

Raining ang threatening tornadic activity all day long so I did some painting and decaling. I do have a bunch of tidbits to attach and some paint touch ups but that is part of the process I suppose, Anyway, I do hope you like the progress.

h7995725.jpg

h8a7701d.jpg

h8a3b9e2.JPG

more later...

Evidently I have nothing better to do all day than to sit here and massage plastic.I almost have all of the required decals applied and all that is left from those are things like stencils and nose art/ kill tally, etc.
Wing tips, gun sights and pitot are done tomorrow then a flat coat and it's done.. I will also get a better photo feature tomorrow if the weather allows.

hdc89fb1.JPG

hf6b81d5.JPG

h80b8c6e.JPG

h4bedb72.JPG

hbbe0278.JPG

h9be5bfc.JPG

hcdb1b6f.JPG

Wow things go quick at your house . I never as much as heard the Warp drive engage (y) (y) (y)

I Love me some Spitfires :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Back