• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Taking time to care for dad

DioRandy

I no sooner got back into modeling and my dad required some more time and attention.
He's been the healthiest man I've ever known for 88 years, never missing a day of work for 31. He's been retired for 29 and spent the last 10 caring for my mother, who's now in a nursing home. Except for the occasional cold, he's been virtually unstoppable. He's now blind in one eye, but you wouldn't know it. He wouldn't even mention it. He's been in an assisted living facility for nearly a year, only because I wouldn't let him drive anymore.
He didn't even argue about the move and he actually enjoys living there.
Well, that all changed on October 1. Since then, he's had two angioplasties, leading to the installation of four stents. I've spent countless hours in doctor's offices, emergency rooms and the hospital. Fortunately, it's all worked out and he's doing very well. Actually, he seems to be quite jovial. The staff loves having him around.
On the way home from the hospital, I told him about the two men who were recently killed in a live-fire accident involving a restored M18 Hellcat, which is what he was in during the war. He acknowledged it, but didn't respond, however, I could see he was thinking about it. I let it go.
Nonetheless, I have been working on the "Charlie Don't Surf" diorama for the "Second Chance" campaign and should have some photos available in the near future.

I wish you and your dad the best of luck, Randy- so many of us are in the same boat as you. The wheel of life turns, and we can't change that!

My thoughts & prayers for you & your family Randy, hang in there, take good care of your Dad. :zen :zen :zen

I'll be keeping your father in my thoughts :zen I'd also like to thank your father for his service.

Well said for all of us. :zen

You keep strong also Randy, it takes it's toll on everyone.

Ditto what everyone else has said!

Bob's right, it takes it's toll on everyone, So, be strong!! JAN 13th will be 2 yrs since I lost my dad & I was the last one to talk to him & without a thought, I told him I loved him. Enjoy your time with him Randy. :drinks

Prayers to you, Sir. Sadly, many of us know this pain toowell, just be there all you can right now

Back