• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Swords KI-84

:) Hello everyone. I have been slowly but surely whittling at this build as I am able so I have a bit of progress to show.

KI-84_pixs_007%7E0.JPG

As you may have noticed, I purchased some Air Master brass cannon barrels for My Zeke and as they come in two pairs we'll install these on the KI-84. Really nice pieces considering their small size.

About ten seconds in blacken-it solution and they look more realistic than trying to paint them.

KI-84_pixs_009.JPG

At this point I have made up a pitot tube , installed the landing gear struts, and doors.

KI-84_pixs_012.JPG

as well as the wing tanks, shackles and antenna mast.

KI-84_pixs_013.JPG

KI-84_pixs_014.JPG

From here I'm off to weather and do the finish details. :pilot

Hope you enjoy. All comments are welcome.

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian,

Beautiful work but the Type 99 20mm cannon used by the A6M series
20mm-aircraft-cannon-type-99-mk-ii.jpg

is different than the 20mm Ho-5 cannon used by the Ki-84
ho-5.gif

carolina-20mm.jpg

...but if you're using artistic license, I will say no more!

Regards,

Well, I can't deny or support that remark. All mi KI-84 references are in Japanese which I can't read.

Just going by the sketches and photography they are showing at least three barrel types. At least one picture looks like these .

The answer is nope, it was not intended as artistic an liscence

My references are also Japanese until I bought the Schiffer book. Anyway, the photos you are looking at are the restored bird with phony cannons on them. The reason for showing you different armament is that they went on to explain the choices made.

Hey, if I had not been secretly building a Ki-84, I would have never known since Japanese WWII warbirds are not my thing (none that I know of had a sharkmouth unless it was captured with one).

These two books are fantastic but I have several more:
Ki-84_books.JPG

Leave them on if you like them, they certainly look good.

Regards,

cannon_barrel_001.JPG

Anyhow, this is what I had and what I went with. If you can point me to a better choice, I'm willing to fix it.
Thanks, Christian B)

Christian, look at the period photographs in the link (click on the image) to see what the cannons looked like on the Hayate:

Note that there are two pages and some of the photos are large enough to see details.

Regards,

Chris, unless Saul is going to judge it one day, leave it as is. They look great. I don't know why I haven't seen these updates before. Really outstanding work so far.

Chris, unless Saul is going to judge it one day...
:huh:

I told Christian that it looks great and he can leave them as is... I simply noticed since I have been looking at references for this aircraft thanks to this 32nd scale Hasegawa kit I have here with all the Eduard PE and Quickboost exhausts.

Regards,

Well folks I pulled this one off the AWM. shelve so I can finish it up.

I decided to try and shoot a coat of Vallejo Matt Varnish over the top finish to see what it did. :hmmm

KI-84__revisited_001a.jpg

It looks better in real life than in photography. The camera picks up more of the shades than my eyes do.

Anyhow, I find it acceptable for myself .

KI-84__revisited_002a.jpg

Now, I have removed the ( beautiful ) but offending cannon barrels and will make something that looks more like the real ones.

KI-84_pixs_009%7E0.JPG

This picture was borrowed from the FAOW # 19 books that have no English text but have useful pictures.

Cannons_002a.jpg

Back soon with more updates. Comments welcome.

Cheers, Christian B)

Oh Dear! I am paying attention as I will probably go that route with my Hayate...

Regards,

So which set of guns did you decide to go with, the ones you showed me yesterday or a revised version? :drinks

Well mike the ones pictured in the above picture were much easier to manufacture than the ones in pictured below .

Other_barrel_001a.jpg

Again, this picture is borrowed from FAOW # 19 for your comparison. Sorry, but the explanations are all in Japanese :blush:

Sorry Saul but this will not be very eye opening . These are the only items I was able to use to make the barrels :fencing

cannon_barrels_again_004a.jpg

I did forget to include a medium grit sanding stick.

.040 thick sprue and .019 brass tubing. Neither of these are nearly round when measured which resulted in concentric pieces when I attempted to turn them in the Dremmel. The process only made it worse. :S

The second set was made with all hand tools . The tapper was made by filing with the fine sanding stick.
I think it looks acceptable in this scale but would not with the larger scales.

cannon_barrels_again_003a.jpg

The barrels are simplified the steps being too small to do in this size. A real sham Masters after market is not planning any in the foreseeable future. :blush:

Comments are welcome .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back