• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SU-100. 8/4/2016

The Zod

Hopefully,I am posting here correctly. This goes back to 2013.
https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/from-russia-with-love/147159-su-100

sur1_zpszfnwti1r.jpg

The decal film did not blend in well. I will see if I can sand off the old decals,repaint that area,and either use dry transfers,or see if this Decalcomaniacs sheet I have has any markings for an SU-100.

sur2_zps9fp9roem.jpg

sur3_zpstxhicjnc.jpg

One of the handles on the engine deck broke off. I will replace them all with wire.
sur4_zpsfex8rxyh.jpg

SU-100

Try putting some tape over the decals, rub it down tight and pull. Should get the decal if you didn't clear coat over them. B)

(y)

SU-100

Try putting some tape over the decals, rub it down tight and pull. Should get the decal if you didn't clear coat over them. B)

(y)

Sadly,there is clear coat on them. I remember having some issues with the clear flat coat with it.

SU-100

What if you put some slits in the decal over the bubbles and then hand painted some diluted future over the area. Then when dry dull coat it. That might fill in the bubbles and smooth out the edges without the effort of danding and repainting and decaling it?
James

SU-100

What if you put some slits in the decal over the bubbles and then hand painted some diluted future over the area. Then when dry dull coat it. That might fill in the bubbles and smooth out the edges without the effort of danding and repainting and decaling it?
James

Thanks for the tip James. I tried that once before,and it did not work. I scrubbed on a thin layer of Simple Green onto the decal area. Mostly for that stuff to eat through the clear coat area.

SU-100

Your opinions on this pigment please. I brushed on a thin pigment to thick pigment fixer liquid last night.
hd6e44e6.JPG

hd6e44e6.JPG

hd0553d6.JPG

SU-100

There's a pattern to a lot of the wheels (brush strokes) that wouldn't occur naturally. I'd suggest wetting the wheel with acrylic air brush thinner in the areas you want to cover, then apply the pigment to that area by holding the loaded brush and tapping the brush to deposit the pigment randomly. Using several colors also helps with the randomness. You can remove excess from places you don't want them by using a dry brush to sweep it away (like on the tires). Fix the pigments in place with pigment fixer or more air thinner, by brush, just touching the brush to the edge of the part and allowing the capillary action to draw in the fixer. If you want it permanent, add a drop or two of Matte Varnish to the thinner.

This is a good series to follow, jump to about 6 minute mark for wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDFA1oRa2WQ

:good:

SU-100

There's a pattern to a lot of the wheels (brush strokes) that wouldn't occur naturally. I'd suggest wetting the wheel with acrylic air brush thinner in the areas you want to cover, then apply the pigment to that area by holding the loaded brush and tapping the brush to deposit the pigment randomly. Using several colors also helps with the randomness. You can remove excess from places you don't want them by using a dry brush to sweep it away (like on the tires). Fix the pigments in place with pigment fixer or more air thinner, by brush, just touching the brush to the edge of the part and allowing the capillary action to draw in the fixer. If you want it permanent, add a drop or two of Matte Varnish to the thinner.

This is a good series to follow, jump to about 6 minute mark for wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDFA1oRa2WQ

:good:
Thanks for the tip Mike. I will see if I can get some pigment fixer that is acrylic. The stuff I have from MIG is solvent based I think.

SU-100

Mig's fixer is fine, in fact that's one of the ones I use. I suggested the acrylic airbrush thinner as an alternate that you may already have. Adding some flat or matte clear to the thinner will bind the pigments to the surface, if you just use thinner, the pigments can be brushed off later.

Main thing to take away from this is randomness to the surfaces. B) :drinks

SU-100

Mig's fixer is fine, in fact that's one of the ones I use. I suggested the acrylic airbrush thinner as an alternate that you may already have. Adding some flat or matte clear to the thinner will bind the pigments to the surface, if you just use thinner, the pigments can be brushed off later.

Main thing to take away from this is randomness to the surfaces. B) :drinks

Okay. What you said earlier just now sunk in.

Back