• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SOVIET PE-2 IN 1/72

OK for three + weeks, I have had an upper respiratory infection, and that has really kept me down :sick:

But, am feeling much better, and got into this kit. I think that I really should have shelled out a bit more green for a better engineered kit or chose something a bit simpler to use as a subject to get back into this, because brother have I struggled with this! This model had a ton of flash and really required alot of hand fitting. that coupled with my rusty skills (maybe more of the latter, in all honesty) have resulted in something a bit less than this crew's skills, but please do not be too harsh, I am persevering on!

This has been a bit like a 1970's Airfix F-104 that I bought on ebay for $1 + $3 for shipping a few years ago. Well really, it is better than that, again, I think it is my rusty skills more than anything.

Anyway, I got the interior painted and the two halves together tonight. they were a REALLY poor fit and the bottom has particularly bad fit in the center of the fuselage. Thatnk good ness I used that Hobby Lobby 50% coupon on some putty! Good news is that as you can see I have press fit the wings and they fit good and firm, and have the correct angle, so that should go pretty easy.

I have some work ahead of me, but hey, the challenge is what makes it fun. I think I can still pull it out into a nice model. MAybe not y'all's level, but a good stepping stone. Anyway, that's all the pics for tonight, y'all have a good one!

Looks like you are making good progress (y) As for a better Pe-2 kit, I'm not sure at the moment there is one, I have the 1/48 kits from Historic Plastic models and one from MPM and both are limited run kits with flash and all the other issues that go along with short run kits. I believe someone has announced a new kit, Xuntong maybe I'm not sure hopefully it will be a better kit.

Thanks guys! When I was digging for info I 'thunked' that Zvezda was going to have one soon, but I went with 1/72 from a space saving perspective.

I am keen to get back into it and get it ready of paint. Would like to have that ready to go or super-close by next weekend. Currently vacillating between the white or the light tan in that earlier pic

OK, I basically have her together, just got to fill in some gaps! One thing about ths is that if you decide to build, plan to do every hatch & window open if possible, becaus if you close it up as I have, you woill quickly find that not a single panel or cockpit piece fits! NOT. A. SINGLE. ONE. So plan on doing ALOT of scrubbing away with sanding sticks

Good news is that the wings and the tail fins (technical term) fit so well that really there is only one bit underneath to repair, and I think zap-a-gap will do it! With a bit of Blessings (no such thing as luck), I can have her primed or at kleast ready to prime by next weekend!

Oh, as you can see, my best buddy has been patiently waiting on me to get done, so he can have some love-time, and as you can see, he has me in his grip. So I am calling it quits for tonight. Till later!

Its coming together very nicely despite the troubles. Don't worry about the level of workmanship. We all start somewhere and some of the blokes around here have set the bar at a ridiculous height that most of us will never reach. :drinks :popcorn

You gotta work on your focus bud. Bring your camera tomorrow.

Yeah, I know. It has a feature to manually focus, but the F-stop setting is goofed up, need some help there. Cat pic came out nice tho

@razordws, brother do I know what ya mean! This is a great bunch though, so I am content to pick up a ton of good info just by watching & learning!

You gotta work on your focus bud. Bring your camera tomorrow.

Yeah, I know. It has a feature to manually focus, but the F-stop setting is goofed up, need some help there. Cat pic came out nice tho

@razordws, brother do I know what ya mean! This is a great bunch though, so I am content to pick up a ton of good info just by watching & learning!

You are so right Bruce! Also, I may add, don't be afraid to ask for help, or questions. Remember there is no stoopid questions except for thos not asked...

Hey Ed you are right, and I am learning alot!

I re-shot a few pics early this morning. here they are:

iambrb, that is looking good. It's nice to see the issues on something like this so I can know what to expect once I get one of these. I haven't done a Pe-2 ever; I should get one.

Love your cat! I just wish my two would ask for some love-time. One is constantly asking for play time, but for the most part, they are both pretty independent. I do love them deeply though.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Ok so thanks to MP, I am FINALLY getting some mo-betta' pics!

You can see that I managed to get some adhesive on the small port windows, nobody but me to blame there. Actually the little girl is coming together rather well, you can see where I had to really throw some Tenax at it to get things to adhere, but with the exception of the seam just ahead of the Bomb Bay, it is otherwise looking pretty good. note that you can REALLY see some panel lines, but with a bit of zap-a-gap and some sanding sticks, I have managed to get everything pretty smooth to the touch, will likely get it primed over the weekend!

Going to a brief break on this so I can get started on the sdkfz. 251/22 I have in another campaign, but I think I may try to get a bit more donw by the weekend. till then!

iambrb, that is looking good. It's nice to see the issues on something like this so I can know what to expect once I get one of these. I haven't done a Pe-2 ever; I should get one.

Love your cat! I just wish my two would ask for some love-time. One is constantly asking for play time, but for the most part, they are both pretty independent. I do love them deeply though.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Hey Duke you really should - though it has been tough on my poor eyes, (I REALLY need new glasses), the large wing area means it will be a neat subject for camo, if you are into that (I am)

Thanks for the kind words regarding my cat, Tanker (Tank). He is my buddy because I weaned him, so he thinks I am Daddy. My step-son named him because he thought that, as a kitten, his coat (since changed) looked like some of the M1 Abrams & other coalition camo tanks that were then on the news as we got ready for Operation Desert Storm

Nice to hear about Tank. I also had a cat I had to bottle feed for two weeks before he could eat solid food. He cwas such a fighter for Life I named him Rocky. I lost him early; I truly miss him.

In addition to the nacelle, check the seam between the cockpit and first dorsal window. It was appearing pretty prominent in the pics. Otherwise, I love the look of this plane already. You're really bringing it together. Can't wait to see more.

Ok so I know you gusy are thinking I had fogotten about this, but NO! it has not been relegated to the shelf of doom! however, there has been a bit of an issue. I was getting it ready for priming and when I did so, I used Silly Putty to cover the cockpit and lower underglass...BIG MISTAKE!!! Stuff stuck to everything in there and I did some damage to the plane in the process of fishing it all out. I had to re-glue a ton of stuff, and a few tiny bits were lost to the putty monster :evil:

I got it out and sanded though, and just now got it primed. I hope to be able to get the paint process rolling on it in the next few days, once I get the bits replaced. I also recently received from Spru Bros. a Eduard masking kit.

Anyhow this is a simple "Proof of life" pic to show that it has not been relegated to any shelves, and work is proceeding, albeit incredibly slowly. thank good ness I have such a long time to go on it!

I'm surprised that you had such issues with the Silly Putty. I did encounter some times where I had to extract it from some cockpits and such but never lost anything or had too much breakage. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I am glad to see this continuing, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Back