• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SOVIET PE-2 IN 1/72

iambrb

OK, so here is how I am getting back into it, with this neat little bomber in 1/72.

Sorry that it is only da’ box art. I just ordered it today from Sprue Bros. Hope to get rolling next weekend!

Very cool, lots of 'unexpected' types making their ways to the bench's. This is turning-out to be really well supported.

Ian.

Nice choice in the true scale

MP keeps telling me to build in 1/48. I can see that, but am 'space challenged' so need to keep it small.

Think I am going with the White/lt. Green/Russian Green camo. Man, I luuuuvs me some camo

Ok so I had to go see my doc as I have a very bad chest cold, and that gave me some time in the afternoon....and what showed up? A box from Sprue Brothers!!!

So I got right to it. here are a few pics of the sprues:

Note that the model on some parts has quite a bit of flash!

All in all, not too bad though. At least it will make the wings fit tightly!

Now about the camo..... here is what the box art & the instructions both show:

but when researching this, i also found this, both in color and what appears to be in an actual photograph:

so not really sure whcih I will actually go with, just have to see when I get there!

Temporary white over the standard green and (off) black... Looks very do-able to me.

Ian.

Nice choice of aircraft! Interesting paint schemes too!! (y) (y) Just be sure to get your start up photos posted with time stamp. :drinks

A few thoughts from the VVS site

PE-2_3.jpg

pe2template5b.jpg

There's more there if you just look.

Cheers, Christian B)

Colors and paint schemes for Soviet aircraft can be a black hole. Lots of speculation and mostly only black and white photos open to interpretation. Also very limited choice of off the shelf colors that are good matches. Good news is that there is no good way to prove you are wrong no matter what you choose so just build it and paint it the way that pleases you. The Pe-2 is one of my favorite Soviet aircraft so looking forward to your build and still looking forward to a quality kit in 1/48.

Colors and paint schemes for Soviet aircraft can be a black hole. Lots of speculation and mostly only black and white photos open to interpretation. Also very limited choice of off the shelf colors that are good matches. Good news is that there is no good way to prove you are wrong no matter what you choose so just build it and paint it the way that pleases you. The Pe-2 is one of my favorite Soviet aircraft so looking forward to your build and still looking forward to a quality kit in 1/48.

Well , this is true about the black hole . However there are a lot of folks on the VVS site that do research , post photos of ac and even color pictures of items recently found :coolio

On the other hand, I believe that all the WW II kits that we build are pretty much of a black hole . Even OD green is not a set color . What's more basic than that ?

Of course what you see is going to vary due to a number of factors but that is true of anything that we build .

As far as the paint goes, you are correct. You will have to order Akhan paints if you want a no mix solution but on the other hand, you can also use the paint chip charts and mix your own from things that are available to you... Comes down to " do you really want to build that particular kit "

Just some thoughts :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Back