• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Soviet ASU-57 assault gun...DONE!

Soviet ASU-57 assault gun

Great work. I love there eastern european kits. They really make you think. You are doing a fantastic job. :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

I like that you haven't given up on this. I know it is not an easy build. Looking forward to you finishing the track work.

Regards,

I like that you haven't given up on this. I know it is not an easy build. Looking forward to you finishing the track work.

Regards,

Yeah, it just got shelved for a bit. Going to try and finish it before the end of the month!

The tracks should be fun! Those are my next plan of attack! I've decided to just remove the teeth from behind each wheel so that the road wheels fit (on the test piece i completed it worked out to 1-2 teeth per wheel). You would only notice if you look close!

:captain

I'm glad I did get the PE detail set, it certainly adds to this little tank!

Been working on the tracks tonight!!! :vmad

But, I did get the last items installed on the inside so I should be done there

and a couple more parts on the front (some of these might have been in my last update)

Tracks!! :vmad :fencing :bang head :pinch: :angry:

I've learned I do not like them!!! :gogo

In fact, I think I like them less than PE and would rather sand, fill and repeat than do tracks. I am hoping the Fruil tracks will be a better experience with my Type 1. Tony had said two results could come of this build:

1. never build another armor kit
2. never build another aircraft.

I think I am leaning towards number 1!!!

Anyway, some very nice armor modelers in my club suggested to glue the individual track links together, allow the glue to set just a bit, and then mount them around the road wheels. They would have been a little ungainly to do all at once (67 links per side) so I did it in small sections.

Here's my result: I messed up in a couple small sections and firmed it up with CA glue so I'm afraid this is the best I got right now! Made the mistake of not starting with the drive sprocket. Will do that for the port side.

Side view: Tried my best to replicate the sag in the tracks from the pics I found.

and a quick look with the top on!

Your kit will have a good side...

Sunset_Boulevard_Ready_For_My_Close-up.png

[Edit - some people are too young to recognize the scene from Sunset Blvd; I'm ready for my closeup Mr. DeMille!]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMTT0LW0M_Y

Regards,

Thanks guys!

Don't think I had ever seen that Saul!. Certainly heard of it though!

A little update tonight! Wasn't ready to tackle the tracks on the other side just yet.

Looking at pics online, I noticed there were rivets on the sides of these. They were able to mold rivets into the bottom of this little spg but they couldn't do it on the sides!

So I added a few! Will have to try and sand them down a bit once they harden up!

added a few more parts (lights and things) and little PE to the front

and some more rivets and light cages

Nice work Warren, you and I need to get passed our track phobia. It's looking great :soldier

Nice work Warren, you and I need to get passed our track phobia. It's looking great :soldier

Thanks guys!

MP, I agree! Tracks are a pain! But, I have them done!

Been working on some sections today

I think I mentioned it but didn't show it last time. Since the road wheels are too wide for the tracks and I don't have an easy way to grind them down, I've just been removing the back teeth from the track links that come in contact with the road wheels. I would line the section up and then just clip away the teeth behind the road wheel.

Here they are finished!! Sorry guys, that is the best I can do with these ones!!

Next, gave the tracks and fighting compartment a coat of flat black

Then sprayed some Russian armor green on. You can see the difference in the interior compared to the exterior. I'll fix that up later!

Finished off the fighting compartment and tried to make it look used.

Got the hull assembled and the back on and gave the outside another spray of flat black followed by Russian armor green again to try and add some depth.

added the last of the PE and parts, starting with the mud flaps. These consist of three pieces of PE, two for the hinge and one for the flap. Then you just need a piece of sprue for the rod. I used the drill bit to wrap the hinge pieces around.

end product looks convincing! (you can see the rear light added as well)

Added the muzzle brake

stickers

and a rod at the back I suppose for the canvas cover (as per my reference photo)

Just a little more painting and then some weathering and I should be done with it!

Nice job Warren, I've done a number of hinges before, I like how those look. Lot better than the type that are open ended.

So...where do the floats go? :popcorn

Nice job Warren, I've done a number of hinges before, I like how those look. Lot better than the type that are open ended.

So...where do the floats go? :popcorn

Don't you recall? The amphibious version!!!

:laugh:

Thanks Luiz!

Back