• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Soviet ASU-57 assault gun...DONE!

sharkman

Master at Arms
Alright Tony, claiming my spot for an SPG build. Not sure what it'll be yet but I'm going to spread my wings ( :pilot ) and try something new! :gogo

The only armor I've built in the past has been a Sherman calliope and an LVT with a jeep (when I was a wee lad). Might have been Revell or Monograms, I can't recall! And I have that Type 1 set to go for the Tankers Tangle!

Going into unchartered territory here so be easy on me!

We'll see if we "fly guys" can tackle these "tracked" thingys!

;)

Forthcoming SPG Build....

I'm not Tony, nor do I play him on the internet, but welcome aboard!

PS.....unlike planes, you get to make armor MUDDY

:idonno Its all just modeling for me as long as youre having fun does not matter what it is youre building.
will be :popcorn mate

:idonno Its all just modeling for me as long as youre having fun does not matter what it is youre building.

I know Dave! Just being funny!

Actually, I'm hoping I can learn a few different skills playing with some armor!

:good:

Just looking at some possibilities right now......

No doubt about it. Armor, aircraft, ships or whatever, it's all scale modeling and we can pick up techniques from all of it.

Two results from this experience Sharkman

#1 Never build another Tank

#2 Never build another Aircraft

I never built another Aircraft :D

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

I know Dave! Just being funny!

Actually, I'm hoping I can learn a few different skills playing with some armor!

:good:

Just looking at some possibilities right now......
:yipee Funny thing is I was just trying to be a funny wiseass also.

Two results from this experience Sharkman

#1 Never build another Tank

#2 Never build another Aircraft

I never built another Aircraft :D

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

#1 Quite possible, though I have at least one other to build!

# 2 Hope this doesn"t happen, I have way too many aircraft in the stash!!!!!

I'm thinking the tracks might be tedious :bang head , and looking at the price of kits, seems to me armor kits are priced a lot higher than aircraft...DOn't think I could afford to be a full time armor modeler.

Ok, found one to tackle for this that I think is neat!

I've been poking around the net to familiarize myself with various SPG's and came across one that caught my eye.

3.4 tons
57 mm gun
aluminum armor
capable of being air dropped

Sounds badass to me!!

:evil:

RA-5C Vigilante on recon to your locale for possible Alpha Strike!! :captain :hmmm :popcorn :popcorn

That kit is not an easy build! It is the AER/Moldova molds and has also been released by TOM Modellbau, Maquette, Eastern Express, and others. Note how much PE is provided for the sub par details but you are on your own with the tracks whsose teeth are too narrow so that the road wheels won't fit without trimming & they don't fit the plastic sprocket). If you're up to it, it will reward you with a unique piece. By the way, Egypt used it in combat:
asu-57-13.jpg

I simply don't want to turn you off to armor on the first try!

Regards,

Thanks for the info Saul. Just purchased it so its on the way. I did check it out a bit before buying it and saw a video build on YouTube. Those tracks do look like they will be tricky!

The one I actually ordered does not contain the pe parts but Part makes a PE fret for this kit which has some new sprockets. Might get that as well. It does look like a cool little piece of artillery. I'll see how it goes anyway. I'm sure I can get lots of help on here if needed.

If it goes south I was contemplating the Tamiya jagdpanzer IV/70 Lang as a backup.

Oh yeah, the Parc Models kit does have a few options for decals and the Egyptian scheme is one of them.

I've been poking around the net to familiarize myself with various SPG's and came across one that caught my eye.

3.4 tons
57 mm gun
aluminum armor

Sounds badass to me!!

now THAT is a cool choice! These were actually used by the Eqyptians in the 6-day war, circa 1967, I do believe!!!

3.4 tons
57 mm gun
aluminum armor

Sounds badass to me!!

now THAT is a cool choice! These were actually used by the Eqyptians in the 6-day war, circa 1967, I do believe!!!

I thought it was pretty cool, small package packing a big punch!

I've been reading up on some builds of this kit and I think I have a few ideas on tackling the "challenges" of the kit!

Forthcoming SPG Build....FOUND ONE!

Looky what I picked up at the post office today!

The parts have been washed and are currently drying!

Here's what you get...

1 page, difficult instructions...

Decals with no reference for where they go....(and no markings for the box art but it does include the egyptian markings!!)

The hull (this is supposed to have fit issues)

Gun and other parts.

road wheels and sprockets (road wheels are too wide for the tracks and the sprocket teeth are too big for the holes in the tracks)

two sprues of individual tracks! (these actually look kinda nice, too bad they are too small!)

Just waiting on a PE set but should be starting soon! :soldier

Back