• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Son of Beech

Stoneboat

002_zpsxlc8o63h.jpg
Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. :D

Actually, over the past four or five months I have been busy building another Beech 18 on floats, hence the title of the thread. Since I had already done a build log on a Beech and I didn't want to bore everyone to tears with a second example, I didn't bother to record the construction. Well, she is now complete so here are a few pics. This one went together with no great loss of sweat. I did one thing different, I dropped the flaps to the takeoff position, since what I think is an outstanding shot of the real thing shows it coming up on the step on takeoff. It's the first pic in the sequence below. Paints are Tamiya acrylics. Flat Aluminum applied with four mist coats and one wet topcoat with rub down using a KimWipe Excel tissue between coats, and Gloss Red with White pin striping as well as Flat Black, applied with a brush. To give the flat black a bit of a sheen I rubbed it with a couple of fingers that I had rubbed over my forehead.

The engines are the Pratt R985's from Engines & Things, the floats are from the Hobbycraft 1:48 Otter, modified to Edo 7850's by adding a plug immediately forward of the step and the decals are by J-Bot.

TBH%2010_zpsnz2w6ulf.jpg

001_zpsjgue88bp.jpg

002_zpsxlc8o63h.jpg

003_zpsxwohnauz.jpg

004_zpsa9ikrdk1.jpg

006_zps7oy0jdzh.jpg

007_zpsz3m2igez.jpg

008_zpsabw0egeu.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated.

I have a Swine in the on deck circle. What's a Swine, you say? The Otter is known as a Stoneboat, mainly because it's about as fast as one. I don't know how the Turbo Otter became known as a Swine, but there it is. I've built probably a dozen of the Hobbycraft 1:48 Otters, but never a Turbo version. It will be for the same gentleman for whom I built the Beech. I have a friend who makes a resin conversion kit for the Hobbycraft offering, consisting of a new nose, exhaust stubs, propeller and intakes. He's busy conjuring up one as we speak. In the meantime I shall begin the build this weekend probably. Stay tuned. :D

Thanks for the kind comments fellas.

Would that be Lars Opland doing the resin, Stoneboat?
No John, it's a guy connected to aviation though. He's an engineer at a small airline in Western Canada. A fantastic modeler in his own right. I have pretty near got him convinced to join us here. I shall prod him a little more. As an aside, the guy for whom I built the first Beech knows Lars well. Bob has been twisting Lars' arm to try and get him to issue his kits in 1:48. That would be pretty fantastic if he did. Imagine the Bellanca Skyrocket, a couple of Wacos and a flock of the early Fairchilds in 1:48. One can only hope.

Thanks Duke. By the way, did that Norseman kit ever show up, and if it did was it a complete kit? I simply wrapped the box and chucked it in the mail. Later when I sent the second one to Uros, I opened the box, and there was a bunch of parts missing. :eek:hmy:

Jim that Norseman kit did arrive; my apologies for not letting you know. Everything looked intact when I opened it to look at it. I almost started it a couple Hobby Days ago, but ran out of time with all the other projects I have going. Thanks again for that. I'll keep you posted when I start it. I will be doing a simple out of box build on it, nothing fancy.

No prob, buddy.
If you're building the box version, be advised there was no clear skylight in the cabin roof of the commercial airplane. And cut the water rudders off and glue them back on retracted, otherwise you have to buy the crew a case of beer. :D

Back