• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Minicraft 1/48 T-34

jeaton01

I guess I forgot to start a thread on this one, so here is a recap to where it is now. The only non-kit thing is instrument panel decals developed from photos from a T-34 flight manual that's been in my library since forever. I have thousands of hours in Beech products but I can only recall flying a T-34 once, way back in college when the Navy came by looking for recruits. I aced the whole interview, and wrecked their day and mine when I told them I was color vision deficient. Narrow minded bunch! And then the other non kit thing is a weight I cast to fit in the nose. The kit calls for a full ounce of ballast up there, and I achieved that, although at this point I think .8 or .9 ounces would be more than enough.

I like to use blue as an undercoat for aluminum finishes for two reasons. One, what we see on reflective finishes, at least on sunny days, is a reflection of the sky, and two, I bought the paint stocks from a hobby shop that was closing some years ago so I have lots of Oldsmobile Engine Blue. After sanding the blue with 2500 grit sandpaper I rubbed the model down with SNJ aluminum powder. After fixing the multitude of sins that revealed I coated the model with Alclad ALC 101 aluminum.

0011t34.jpg

0051t34.jpg

0061t34.jpg

0071t34.jpg

0081t34.jpg

0091t34.jpg

0101t34.jpg

0111t34.jpg

0121t34.jpg

0131t34.jpg

0141t34.jpg

I did take some pictures of the Parish P-40 at Oshkosh in 1978, but it needs to be an E. Crew weight 120 pounds!

Where the T-34 is, I got the shapes right on the anti-glare panels but the edges need some clean up. Walkways are next.

0151t34.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry i dont want hijack the thread so delete if you want but the RAF used pink spitfires during the war for Photo reconnaissance as it was a very neutral colour at high altitude but it should also be noticed that Pink only became a gender specific colour in the 1940's Up till then pink and blue were very much associated with both sexes. The fact is Pink at the turn of the century and up to the late 30's was very much a male colour !!

Back