• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Re:Something really different Update July 21, 2010

bob letterman wrote:
My daughter Gail tells me all the time that I'm not old at all, that I am at my peak! She tells me little fibs like that all the time and I act like I believe them!

I remember what the peak felt like back when I was in my twenties. I'm almost 70 now and I can tell you that this is nobody's idea of a peak!

Oh well, I'm still modeling! :D :D :D :D :D

Bob

Hi there Bob.

My granddad used to say that you're only as old as you feel. Even in his late 90's he was still saving "for my old age!"

Cheers from Peter

Re:Something really different Update July 21, 2010

Hey Peter,

I'll have to remember that one! That is funny.

I had a great great granddad that lived to be 108. My daughter expects me to live even longer than him! Somehow I have a problem seeing me at over a hundred stretching sprue. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Right, Of course, no problemo! I'll mark that on my calendar!

Your granddad was my kind of guy! Thanks for sharing that!

Bob

Re:Something really different Update August 9, 2010

I managed to get a little done on this project over the weekend. This part is going slow because the "Sunroom", a huge sunroom is the entire ground floor of the left wing of the mansion. It will be lit and visible from outside the building so it must be finished and furnished! I began by "Dry walling the interior walls, and started finishing out the window frames. Also, I had to correct the rear of this wing as I learned there was a deck off the second floor when I drove by a couple of weeks ago.

Then I cut a piece of corrugated cardboard to the exact size of the floor. Then I fitted some evergreen tiles to fit that, and glued them together.

CIMG1681.jpg

Then, made certain of the fit. The gap to the right of the screen is for the rear wall, the sides fit flush against the main building wall.

CIMG1682.jpg

Then I gave the entire floor a coat of flat back. After drying, I gave it a cloud pattern of dark gray, here and there, at random.

CIMG1684.jpg

I mixed up a combination of flat white enamel and gloss green acrylic paint. This is the same way I do for patinas on statues, etc. I use this because the two paints will never mix thoroughly, thus it creates the exact effect I need. Then thin it down with thinner and alcohol. I use a wide soft paint brush that I have thinned with thinning shears. Dip it into the solution and make a few practice swatches on an old piece of cardboard. If done properly, it will "Vein" when it hits the black tile I usually do several coats, letting each dry first. I hold the brush in one hand and then strike it with a finger to propel it randomly onto the tiles.

Here is an example of the patina on Napoleon's statue in the square,

Legacies6-1.jpg

...And then, this shadowbox was made with the exact same system with slightly different shades of colors. It really is quite effective! I discovered both of these techniques while building The Winds of War, way back in the 70s.

Limits6copy-1.jpg
]

This was the first run.

CIMG1686.jpg

I gave this one three coats. Then allow to dry to the point of lightly sanding it to make it all blend together. Be careful to not sand too hard or use anything but a fine grit, as it will sand the base coat off.

Then after sanding, I use 1/64th inch light gray tape. Chartpak is the brand and it comes in dozens of colors and sizes. I use it like grouting in real tile. Once in that groove and stretched tight, then wrapped on both ends to the cardboard underneath, it will be there long after I am gone!

CIMG1688.jpg

Then I gave the entire floor two coats of polyurethane clear gloss.

CIMG1690.jpg

I placed it inside the walls of the left wing to dry overnight. I will assemble the floors and the walls tomorrow. With the seven very large windows in this wing, it will be very visible, especially in the dark with the lights on.

[
CIMG1693.jpg

The last shot shows the alterations I had to do to accommodate the second floor sun deck.

CIMG1695.jpg

More as it moves along!

Bob

Incredible. I'll have to try the marbleing out soon. I learn so much from you I almost feel like I'm stealing. :notworthy :cheer:
James

Hey Bob,

It is looking good. I liked what I saw at your house but can't wait to see more! She is in for a real winner!

Joe

Man O Man Bob, this is SOME project!!! It looks good now and will look GREAT when you finish it.

The marble effect is outstanding as usual.

Do you realize that it takes most of us at least a year to build a plastic kit right out of the box and several years to complete a conversion or scratch built model.

Yet your mastery of being able to shift the time and space continuum makes all the rest of us look bad!

What's that Rolling Stones song say? "Time is on my side, yes it is!".

Outstanding job as usual.

We miss you guys,

Dman, Bman & the Kitties

Hi Bob,

Well you've done it again! If this is the kind of work you can turn out at almost 70, the rest of us are in real trouble. Gail will be thrilled with it when it's finished.

Gil

Pure Letterman magic :huh: !!!! Now how did you ever come up with such an amazing techanique ?

I am so trying this myself :) .

Jenny :kiss:

:blink with a soft brush and mixing enamel with acrylic! uff!

i know what i would have done! spent several hours with futile attempts to recreate that effect with airbrush, earn myself a free ticket to hell due to extensive cursing, throw the prepared floor away, start over and do all that again!

outstanding!

I am just amazed how good this flooring looks. I assumed you planned to model this home with all the draperies and blinds closed. Now, I see.... a little of the "Letterman" magic. Remembering back to the Napoleon Shadow Box diorama, I watched you applying the acrylic and the enamel mix, not understanding that you DID NOT want them to mix...as this was your plan all along. Those columns and the desk looked so convincing, I still want to touch them to see if they are "cold marble". Finishing off this sunroom with a complete interior will be great way to draw the viewer even closer to the finished model.
Gail will be thrilled!!!! (and I can't wait to see it in person)

Wes

Hey Wes , what is that in your hand on your photomagraph ? At first I thought it was a fighting axe and now I think it is a little birdie ? :unsure:

jknaus wrote:
Incredible. I'll have to try the marbleing out soon. I learn so much from you I almost feel like I'm stealing. :notworthy :cheer:
James

Thanks James,

Nah, you're not stealing! I'm giving it away! I just hope somebody can find a use for it!

Bob

Joe Hudson wrote:
Hey Bob,

It is looking good. I liked what I saw at your house but can't wait to see more! She is in for a real winner!

Joe

Hey Joe, I hope so. When I decided to take on this project, I was concerned about that always looming possibility that it wouldn't "turn out". Happens to all of us from time to time!

Bob

Dman wrote:
Man O Man Bob, this is SOME project!!! It looks good now and will look GREAT when you finish it.

The marble effect is outstanding as usual.

Do you realize that it takes most of us at least a year to build a plastic kit right out of the box and several years to complete a conversion or scratch built model.

Yet your mastery of being able to shift the time and space continuum makes all the rest of us look bad!

What's that Rolling Stones song say? "Time is on my side, yes it is!".

Outstanding job as usual.

We miss you guys,

Dman, Bman & the Kitties

Hey Dave and Bill,

Thanks, let's see, "Shifting the space time continuum" Hmmmmmmm, now there's a technique I haven't tried yet! :idonno

The Stones are Gail's favorite group! (y)

Thanks Guys, hope to see you this year sometime!

Bob

moon puppy wrote:
I'm just in awe...looks all so simple :notworthy :notworthy

Thanks MP, :mpup the funny thing is that it really is simple! Nothing complicated. I did that entire floor in less than an hour, including the paint drying time! Give it a try! :ro:

Bob

ma00004 wrote:
Hi Bob,

Well you've done it again! If this is the kind of work you can turn out at almost 70, the rest of us are in real trouble. Gail will be thrilled with it when it's finished.

Gil

Thanks Gil,

One thing is for certain, nobody is in trouble because of me. My eyes are going, my hearing is going, I have arthritis in my fingers, Hell, I'm fallin' apart here! :gogo :gogo :gogo

Bob

jenny croft wrote:
Pure Letterman magic :huh: !!!! Now how did you ever come up with such an amazing techanique ?

I am so trying this myself :) .

Hey Boss,

Just been around a lot longer than most!

Guess I'm in the naughty corner! You asked me to sbs the marble thing more than a year ago! Better late than never?/ :angle :angle

Bob

Kreighshoer wrote:
:blink with a soft brush and mixing enamel with acrylic! uff!

i know what i would have done! spent several hours with futile attempts to recreate that effect with airbrush, earn myself a free ticket to hell due to extensive cursing, throw the prepared floor away, start over and do all that again!

outstanding!

Hey Laura,

This technique is a piece of cake. BTW, way back in the seventies, I tried to do it with an airbrush, had the same results you are predicting! I'm sure it can be done with an airbrush, but not by me! :gogo :gogo :gogo

Thanks, Bob

Wes2010 wrote:
I am just amazed how good this flooring looks. I assumed you planned to model this home with all the draperies and blinds closed. Now, I see.... a little of the "Letterman" magic. Remembering back to the Napoleon Shadow Box diorama, I watched you applying the acrylic and the enamel mix, not understanding that you DID NOT want them to mix...as this was your plan all along. Those columns and the desk looked so convincing, I still want to touch them to see if they are "cold marble". Finishing off this sunroom with a complete interior will be great way to draw the viewer even closer to the finished model.
Gail will be thrilled!!!! (and I can't wait to see it in person)

Wes

Wes, I thought you knew it was to keep them from mixing! Otherwise, why? :duh :duh :duh

Anyway, thanks old buddy!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Gil

Falling apart?! BALONEY. At 69, you can leg press 515 pounds. You're in fantastic shape. I know guys half your age who would love to be in your shape, Poppy. :)

Sure I am Sweetheart!

Guys, do I have her fooled or what? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Well, you expect me to live to 114, right? :idonno :idonno

Pop

You don't have me fooled. The Old Man and the Sea routine doesn't work if one knows you personally. :)

Just as you will accept nothing less than the best in your modeling, so I expect nothing less than the best in your longevity. I don't think 114 is too much to ask from.......THE POPPINATOR.

BOO-YAH. :ro:

Bob, When I saw you mixing then...I just thought it was a mistake, till I saw the results. Then I was convinced.

Jenny, it is a resin Sordes, almost the only life-sized dinosaur you could hold in your hands.
(Sordes had a 0.63 m (two feet feet) wingspan. The wings were relatively short. It had a slender, not round, head with moderately long, pointed jaws. The skull was about eight centimetres long. Its teeth were widely spaced, small and slanted. It had a short neck. It had a long tail, accounting for over half its length, with at the end an elongated vane. Unlike many pterosaurs, it had no head crest. Sordes had wing membranes attached to the legs and a membrane between the legs.
Sordes probably ate small prey, perhaps including insects and amphibians.)

Back