• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sherman II Almost Ready for paint.

Cam

Hi Everyone,
Thought I would share a few pics of the Sherman II I have been working on. This is the first model I have built in about 15 Years, so PE was not something I am used to. This kit almost went out the window a few times. I think I will try soldering the PE next time as the glue IMHO is not strong enough. I would appreciate some honest feed back so I can improve next time around. The whole build can be seen in the Duel in the sun group build forum.Thanks for looking .
EDIT:
I just noticed I forgot a tie down strap on the Sledge Hammer on the rear.
Click images to Enlarge.
20091122-DSC_0034.jpg

20091122-DSC_0035.jpg

20091122-DSC_0037.jpg

20091122-DSC_0040.jpg

Well I think you have done an astounding job , do not be put off with PE , I love it now , but not always , just realise the different viscosities os CA glue all have their purpose , the thickest fills gaps , the medium allows time to adjust and the thin bonds instantly , but always remember that with a little zip kicker the thick stuff can be made to set when ready .

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks Guys :D I have learned quite a bit building this. I used Steve Z's new book as a guide and it really came in handy. I never would have thought of using the plastic rod to make the tie downs. I have several more Sherman's in the works and I have officially got a stash, albeit a small one LOL. WOW aren't expensive hobbies grand LOL.

Well I think it looks pretty good. Working with PE is just another skill the more you do the better you get. So keep at it and from what I see your work will be excellent.

Terry B)

Hi Cam,

Your first model in fifteen years????????????

Well, Steve Zaloga is a great mentor, but I think you picked up where you left off! Let's see some paint and weathering!

Bob

I think he's sandbaggin' and he's an old pro in PE. I wouldn't look at solder as an alternative to CA, some parts you're just not going to be able to solder. I only solder when I'm dealing with a part that will be supporting as you noted, the bond would be much greater.

Also remember to score the contact surfaces before using CA, gives it something more to grip.

Thanks for the feedback guys it's really appreciated. I should also give props to Gary and his el alemein Sherman in the old TNT forums. I followed that build pretty closely and referred back to it quite a bit. I think the main difference between this model and my last one is the patience I have gained as I have grown older. It's amazing what you can do with 6 yr old twins filling in the background noise for you. Now, the painting. Using an airbrush is foreign to me so I will be practicing my painting techniques on a few die cast cars I picked up at walmart before I spray anything on this. Thanks again everyone. The positive vibe I get on this site is just great Thanks everyone.

Looking good to me!
Regarding airbrushes, the single most important thing to me is a pressure regulator. That and a book of spells and incantations.........................

I'll see if I can get the Padre to work his magic LOL.

agentg wrote:
Looking good to me!
Regarding airbrushes, the single most important thing to me is a pressure regulator. That and a book of spells and incantations.........................

Awesome build!
You're hooked aren't you? Your skills will increase with time and patience and, before you know it, you'll be scratchbuilding.
DioRandy

Back