• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sculpting an Armored Dough 1944/45

Brad,

Fantastic work you´re doing! The pics are just great and I´m learning alot, keep them coming.
Best regards,

Juliano

Hey Brad this figure is awesome and would great with my Hellcat i'm going to build soon ( me building an Allied Tank i must be feeling faint :blink )

Matt :)

Thanks Juliano, and also thanks to Cam who slipped a response in when I wasn't looking ;)

Matt Beattie wrote:
( me building an Allied Tank i must be feeling faint :blink )

Matt :)

:laugh: :laugh: Be careful about OD-ing mate. Controlled doses ;)

Well I have actually carved back both legs and have since resculpted the right leg now. I'm happy with the folds on this one, and will post some pics soon; maybe after the left is completed.

Brad

Top Notch creating there Dr James....Very neat and precise.
The only problem I have with it is that you might not be able to enter it as a Sherman or variant at Wheels and Tracks :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing him finished.
Cheers
Pete

I sure wish that I could sculpt half as good as that... I agree that it is a very professional finish.I see where you are going with the facial expression as he looks like he is about to chew someone a new one.
The hand is particularly well done ...especially the line from the wrist to the knuckles and down to the fingers that so many seem to get out of proportion.

How long do you wait between applying the putty blobs and sculpting the first details? I dont mean so much timeframe wise but more putty consistancy. I have always avoided sculpting anything but I guess I will never improve if I don't start.

Hey thanks for the good wishes Laura Steiner Pete & Jo...
Thought I'd provide some proof that I am still working on him. :lol:

OJ, thanks for the kind words on his hand! I tried to copy my own in this poistion and had a few goes at it. For your query, I let the putty consistency vary for different things. You'll find most let it sit for a while on the bench before even touching it, whereas I generally immediately apply where needed and roughly make it into the shape required. This is helped with plenty of lubrication (ie. my saliva) as it is still a little too tacky and prone to being squashed or dragged out of shape easily without it. Into this you can make basic shapes, but if let sit for say 20min, half-hour it is the best of both worlds in that it supports itself well but is also still malleable, and takes impressions well.

Anywell, the pants were reshaped yet again (!) making them a little slimmer and less blousy... I added a bandolier too, as he is to carry a M1 Garand and being armored infantry would need plenty of reserve ammunition. On his right shoulder is a knot in the strap to take up some slack.

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Apologies, as the photos make him appear a little more 'compressed' than he actually is...

Brad

jenny croft wrote:
Do not worry some of us are compressed in real life too :unsure:

:laugh: Nice one Jenny...

Thanks for the response ;) I am about to sculpt his left arm, and will probably have it straight and close to the body...
Brad

BradJ wrote:
I am about to sculpt his left arm, and will probably have it straight and close to the body...
Brad

Good,

cause that stick looking thing protruding from his left shoulder looks pretty useless.

;) :silly:

*awesome stuff as always b-rad

Ken Abrams wrote:
Good,

cause that stick looking thing protruding from his left shoulder looks pretty useless.
There's always one, and it is generally you Ken :lol:

Well righto, here are the latest instalments, complete with left arm... :)

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Little things like the tightening 'tabs' for his cuffs and accompanying buttons are to be added, as well as realise his two buckle boots, and various equipment for his belt.

The left hand is next on the to-do list. Poor bugger can't hold a ciggy at the mo'...

Brad

Still watching Brad,

Really nice SBS!

Although I like the entire piece, I am fascinated with the face. With a few alterations, that could be a dead ringer for Georgie Patton, particularly in this pic!

IMG_0637.jpg
[/quote]

Can anyone else see that?

Bob

Thanks Laura Ken n Bob

You know Bob, maybe I can see some ol B 'n' G in him!!
I assure you it was unintentional, but I think the photo you show could bear a passing resemblance...
Brad

Hi Brad.

This guy is really looking great now. Especially now that he is close to finished, that even I can realise what it is you are doing.

Gary

bob letterman wrote:
Still watching Brad,

Really nice SBS!

Although I like the entire piece, I am fascinated with the face. With a few alterations, that could be a dead ringer for Georgie Patton, particularly in this pic!

IMG_0637.jpg

Can anyone else see that?

Bob[/quote]

Hey Bob, I can see it too. Especially since he is staring down at me everytime I sit at my desk out here in my modelling hole.

003_20100224_1821275417.jpg

B)

Back