• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sculpting an Armored Dough 1944/45

BradJ

Hi there folks

I have many projects I tinker with, and this is one of, but happens to be the most recent...
I started with a blank head and referenced the features from an internet pic of a grizzled/annoyed face, probably over-exaggerating the brow and mouth for impact..
It is magic sculpt which is added to a solid ball which has been shaped with a jaw-line. I cut into the sections which are to be worked on such as the browline, (to the depth of the back of the eye socket) A drop of ca into the removed void, and build up the area with fresh (read: malleable) putty, all the time using a reference chart which shows the features in relation to each other. this can be easily shaped with a #11 blade for the eyelids etc. and a smoothing tool for the brow shape itself. Once happy with one side, I let it cure, before matching it as close as possible with the other eye...

Anyhoo photos talk...

The fist is showing the shaping of the collar. A drop of ca to hold it onto the cast resin torso, then shaped during the curing stage.

IMG_0633-1.jpg

The head as mentioned, with a resin M1 pot. I have filled out the lower torso and carved back a little to achieve proportion...

IMG_0634-1.jpg

I have now added some fresh putty. Once again the rest has been fully cured. Lesson number 34 is to only sculpt a portion and then allow it to cure before handling and adding more. Nothing worse than working two sides, only to realise a remarkably accurate 1:1 scale way of sculpting your own fingerprints instead of delicate folds that were there 5 minutes previously... :blink

IMG_0635.jpg

Hey Rudi. Yep, I have hoed into it and am making some cracking progress...

Some more done. I probably should have mentioned that the belt should be added early on, so as clothing can be creased and shaped accordingly, due to the fact that the belt pulls in the material (in this case his tanker overalls) You can decide whether he is a Harry highpants or a low gunslinger type, but the pose initially chosen can often dictate which path this takes. The belt as shown in this photo has been smoothed back a little, as I'm not actually sculpting the belt detail in putty, but will use the belt area glue a leadfoil belt in place. Those familiar with web belts know of the parallel lines it has. I find these easier to replicate with a steel ruler and #11 before removed from the rest of the lead sheet, and then simply glueing it in place. It is obviously pliable, and eyelet details can be added later.

IMG_0637.jpg

This is an excellent SBS, Brad, I am keeping a very close eye and my next major project will be sculpting a new man as you are doing.

Best Wishes

Andy

Hey Andy
Thanks for having a butcher's...
I'll keep you in mind with further progress, and try to convey as simply as possible the method I'm using on this figure.
Further works have gotten me to here. Now I'm not sold on the overalls apeparance below the beltline, but had some putty that was going to waste so slapped it on and shaped it a little. The beauty is that it can be carved away and resculpted, as magic sculpt can be applied over itself and blended seamlessly. An important aspect is the shoulder line which is so easy to get wrong. You need to maintain the proportion here and not lose track of the highest outside point, that is where the top of the sleeve seam is located. The fall from here down onto the sleeve itself is hella important. I add some vaseline to the arm socket after working an arm armature for position and length. Drilling out the receiving hole for the arm, I then add ca to the armature and fix it in position. The vaseline prevents the fresh putty for his arm from sticking solid to the torso, and allows for the arm to be removed later by carefully breaking the ca bond in the arm hole.

IMG_0638.jpg

His right hand will be holding a rifle sling, and he will have a weapon slung over his right shoulder. Have yet to decide on the left arm's pose.
Cheers

What a great SBS to watch the progress :laugh: , I remember watching Bill Chilstrom doing one for "the Escape" and it makes me want to try one :)

Jenny :kiss:

Hey thanks Engin and Jenny
I'm off to Queensland for a little RnR tomorrow for a week, so may be a little quiet in this time... I'm trying to sneak my tools and putty into my overnighter... :evil:
Don't know how well received that would be... :lol:
Brad

Hey again
Back from Queensland. Kind of a waste taking my gear, as I did about an hours' sculpting and ended up re-sculpting that arm anyways :pinch:

Further progress has been made since my return to the big V though...
Sculpted his right arm and hand yesterday. This hand will be holding the rifle sling. I'm thinkning of making a groove in both top and bottom of the fist to receive a sling made from other than putty...

IMG_0686.jpg

Brad

Very nice work Brad. I can't wait to see the end result! Queensland? Queensland NZ? I have family in Timaru and Invicargle as well as Queensland and Auckland. As my Aunt say's "good on ya!" Ryan ;)

Hi Brad,

Taking shape very nicely indeed

Any chance of an SBS on how you sculpt hands as I think that one is awesome

Cheers

Andy

53Chevy wrote:
Very nice work Brad. I can't wait to see the end result! Queensland? Queensland NZ? I have family in Timaru and Invicargle as well as Queensland and Auckland. As my Aunt say's "good on ya!" Ryan ;)

thanks Ryan, and I reckon you're thinking of 'Queenstown', home of extreme everything...
Queensland is one of our largest states (we have 6 states, 2 territories)
practically the whole top right quarter of the country.

andyfettes wrote:
Hi Brad,

Taking shape very nicely indeed

Any chance of an SBS on how you sculpt hands as I think that one is awesome

Cheers

Andy
Thanks Andy. You know, that might be interesting enough to do? I feel confident that my technique is sound enough to displayed this way :eek:hmy: :laugh:

I may start taking a couple of photos soon...

Brad
Thanks for the support Dioramix ;)

Hey thanks Joe for the positive comments...
I have worked a little more on him today.
Managed to get the top rear of his shirt done and more obviously his rear end and most of his right leg.
The first shot is showing how I apply the putty. I put the blob on a cutting mat and slice a straight edge to it, so that I can more easily line it up with the bottom of the belt edge when affixing it to the sculpt. A drop of ca is used to hold the freh putty in position. Care is taken to not use too much, as it can squeeze out when pressing the fresh putty at the edges.

IMG_0697.jpg

Using vintage photos of tanker overalls I follow a similar fold/crease pattern and apply the putty in small 'wraps'. For example, the above blob was formed to make his buttocks and a bit of sag which happens with overalls here; creases are worked in under this region and then a drop of ca is added below eg. high on the hamstring area, and then a smaller rectanguar blob or fresh putty is 'wrapped' around from here to the upper thigh, and then carefully blended with the existing creases and the beat goes on for the rest of leg... I would have liked to have taken a photo at this moment, but I had already lended the second section and added the folds... :blush:

IMG_0698.jpg

More of the same technique applied, and the folds/creases have been refined a little also...

IMG_0699.jpg

Some DML equipment has been used for positioning. These will be sculpted in due course once I have decide on the best spots to hand them from the belt. I'm settling on an entrenching tool, canteen, first aid pouch (and maybe a knife) only. I'm probably going to add a ammunition bandolier later also, as armored infantry carried plenty of spare ammunition...

Brad :cheer:

Hey thanks Bob
I have a full Sunday of doing very little, so will mush on with the legs again. The 3rd day of the second cricket test vs. the West Indies is on for a few hours, so don't intend to move far ;)
Brad

BradJ wrote:
Hey thanks Bob
I have a full Sunday of doing very little, so will mush on with the legs again. The 3rd day of the second cricket test vs. the West Indies is on for a few hours, so don't intend to move far ;)
Brad

Hey Brad , How do you think poor Watson feels ? Oh bugger now Katich is out :( . Are you going to see any of the Melbourne Test ? We usually go to see some of the Sydney Test .

Jenny :kiss:

Rock solid effort Brad. I have a feeling someone will be contacting you for some masters sooner rather than later. This really is well done. We need more Sherman crews to man all the variants out there.

Well Jenny no one really wanted to look him in the eye whn he walked into the rooms... :huh:

I'm glad the Windies are making a but of a fist of it, but more wickets would have to fall soonish!
I try to get to Boxing Day at the 'G and am sweating on some tickets from a 'friend' ;) Never been to the SCG, but it seems a very pretty ground with the members pavilion and ladie's stands... The character has been removed fromt he 'G but boy is it impressive to watch sport with a big crowd... :woohoo:

Back