• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Russian Sea Monster...

Hippy Ed

All I can say is WoWZERS!!!
http://thebrigade.com/2015/07/09/russias-unprecedented-monster-aircraft-ship-53-photos-and-story/

Very interesting concept . Thanks good research photos . (y)

I have seen several configurations of this thing with varying numbers of engines :hmmm

It leaves me to wonder how far it would get with eight fuel guzzling jet engines :idonno Also, I'm curious to know how it would be transported to a location where it could be used . :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

From what I remember Chris, this thing was an air effect vehicle and never really flew. It was used in the Baltic fleet if I remeber correctly. Sort of a high speed boat one step up from a hydrofoil or hovercraft.
James

From what I remember Chris, this thing was an air effect vehicle and never really flew. It was used in the Baltic fleet if I remeber correctly. Sort of a high speed boat one step up from a hydrofoil or hovercraft.
James

It works on ground effects Jame. Back around that time frame popular mechanics had articles on how to build your own ground effect vehicle.

Guess if I had been living close to a large body of water, I probably would have .

Cheers, Christian B)

I have seen several configurations of this thing with varying numbers of engines :hmmm

It leaves me to wonder how far it would get with eight fuel guzzling jet engines :idonno Also, I'm curious to know how it would be transported to a location where it could be used . :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Yep, great photos! Now this had a range of like 2,000 miles at an altitude of 15 feet above the sea. Good question about ground transport. This thing had no landing gear & used a special dock to lift it out of the water...

James

Exactly! But, with more of a bad attitude :frantic

Yup. Memory is fading. Thats what I meant, Ground Effect. As for transport I think this was consodered more a ship of the fleet and so not something that would be transported anywhere.
JAmes

Yup. Memory is fading. Thats what I meant, Ground Effect. As for transport I think this was consodered more a ship of the fleet and so not something that would be transported anywhere.
JAmes

As big as it is, they'd need to remove the wings and have a BIG Rig or two to move it. It would be interesting sight to see tho :good:

The technology had actually been in development for some time; it is thought that when Leonid Brezhnev said in a speech “We have battleships that can jump buildings” this is what he was actually referring to. Her is a Wiki-link to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

THERE'S A MODEL AVAILABLE!!!!

http://www.squadron.com/1-144-Zvezda-Troop-Carrier-Ekranoplan-A-90-Orlyon-p/zv7016.htm

for some reason I could not show the ebay link. Squadron is not my normal hobby Shop

There is also a Micro-Modeler's Build upcoming............. :yipee

Cheers, Christian B)

Yep, great photos! Now this had a range of like 2,000 miles at an altitude of 15 feet above the sea. Good question about ground transport. This thing had no landing gear & used a special dock to lift it out of the water...

Never would have guessed they could have got that sort of mileage at that speed and with a load in it.

and my brain is also having a hard time imagining this bobbing along an ocean with regular ships .

Perhaps that's why it did not make it being development :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Cheers, Christian B)

Never would have guessed they could have got that sort of mileage at that speed and with a load in it.

and my brain is also having a hard time imagining this bobbing along an ocean with regular ships .

Perhaps that's why it did not make it being development :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Most stats like that are under absolute best conditions, unloaded and the like, kinda like the MPG rating on your car.......

I would imagine that in the long runit did not turn out to be all that was promised. bet under a full load and trying to plug thru a stormy sea, it did not fare so well. I particularly liked those big cages around the engines. I am betting after it was last used the marine bird life really rebounded, if you wee what I mean.

The article talks about how stealthy it is, seriously doubt that's the case with something that big and that fast moving across the water. Lookdown radar wouldn't have any problem seeing it.

Back