• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rumpler C.IV Scarab

Thanks guys.
Chris, looking at a game (Red Baron II) when you look at the lozege cam or even the green/mauve, the a/c disappear into the forest below. It is amazingly hard to see them. Meanwhile the Green of the allied birds while hard to see does stand out more. Probably why the better or longer lasting German pilots were so flamboyant in their paint schemes, to attract attention. Too bad there are no WWI pilots around to ask though, that I know of.
James

I know that the flamboyant ones were to attract victim . Did not know the green /mauve disappeared that good .

cool :pilot

I remember that game well! How many hours were spent

Loved how you could hear the church bells ringing in towns as you flew by them :pilot

:popcorn

Thanks guys.
Chris, looking at a game (Red Baron II) when you look at the lozege cam or even the green/mauve, the a/c disappear into the forest below. It is amazingly hard to see them. Meanwhile the Green of the allied birds while hard to see does stand out more. Probably why the better or longer lasting German pilots were so flamboyant in their paint schemes, to attract attention. Too bad there are no WWI pilots around to ask though, that I know of.
James

Shalom.

According to some of the books I've read, many of the paint schemes were a throwback to the days of mounted knights and their coats of arms used to identify them on the fields of battle hence the term for WW1 pilots, "Knights of the Air".

Cheers from Peter

Thanks guys. Peter that is my understanding also. Recognition by Squadron mates and an Identifier. The one pilot who I just read of Lt. Carl Degelow wore a white stag on his black aircraft. It was the symbol of the sanitarium he convalesced at. Thats a pilot I want to model all of his a/c.
Anyways up at 0300 and couldnt think of anything better to do (except sleep which wasnt happening), so I assembled the center strut, engine panels, painted the pilots combing, and decaled one side.

DSC03964.JPG

James

Looks fine James!

Degelow as the scheme I thought I was doing till I realized I was doing the wrong parts call out. Doing Pritsch now.

Thanks guys. Well I made 2 mistakes, one of which is problematic. First mistake is I put a decal on in the wrong place. The data plaque on the nose should be on the right side not the left. The decal for the left is now on the right. That irks me, but oh well, I did do it at around 0330 in the morning. The big problem is the center strut. The 2 pieces are a butt fit and I should have pinned them. When I put the top wing on and glued they sprung apart. I finally managed to get them kind of lined up right. So anyone looking at building this save yourself some heart ache and pin them together. So hopefully this looks okay to you all. Hope to get more done tomorrow. Rigging is going to be a pain.

DSC03974.JPG

DSC03973.JPG

DSC03972.JPG

DSC03971.JPG

DSC03970.JPG

James

Thanks guys. Well just a small update today. Got the landing gear together and already have to make a repair. Wife pointed out one turnbuckle was a bit crooked. Well now its detached, but simple fix, just glue back on. Also worked on the radio operator/observer/gunners pulpit. Coming together :D

DSC03975.JPG

DSC03976.JPG

DSC03977.JPG

DSC03978.JPG

DSC03979.JPG

James

Definitely cool . Makes me wish I was 20 years younger . Maybe I'd feel like building some :blush:

Cheers, Christian B)

You go James!

I like that, the landing gear has always been my downfall on these string bag kites...ok on the metal ones also :rotf

Beign able to build that up and rig it apart from the fuselage is a big advantage, you think the Fokker can build up like that also?

I think I had to rig my DVII after the gear was on. But if you are using either the gaspatch turnbuckles and end points or Bobs Buckles I would attach the hardware before attaching the landing gear. Then you can rig later with more ease.
James

Back