• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Roland VIa

jknaus

Administrator
Well I'm stalled in my builds as I await bits and pieces. So in the interim and to get me ready for the Gotha G IV build I have started the Roland VIa.

Roland.jpg

I really like the box art scheme and will do that one. It is the mount of Otto Kissenberth from Jasta 23b in 1918. He seems like an interesting character and scored 20 kills, the last one in a captured Sopwith Camel. Read more here

So the initial work, and my try at wood.
initial3.jpg

initial2.jpg

initial1.jpg

And initial work on the leather seat pad.

initial4.jpg

I used vallejo buff as a start because it looks like a good base, then used burnt umber oil paint basically drybrushed on and then dry brushed so it is just a filter. The instrument panel is buff and burnt sienna for a redder looking wood. The seat is a dark wood so buff with a vandyke brown. Seat cushion is mars brown. Will highlight with mars oran=ge and attempt to weather with a bit of ochre.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

James

Nice start, very convincing leather paint job James. Well at least you don't have much rigging inside unless you do the control lines there.

Look great James!! You're as bad as I am about starting projects

Terry B)

Man I have got to just bite the bullet and order one of their kits! Good start James and can't wait to see what you do with it!

That's one beautiful subject to model : good choice, James! :dude

I gather the manufacturer is the same as Moon's Sopwith, eh? I guess you'll enjoy building that bird. In fact, you're already off to a good start : smart job on the leather upholstery! :notworthy

BTW, interesting story that of the ace pilot Otto Kissenberth : to survive the war flying in those fragile little thingies, only to die a year after the armistice in a climbing accident in the Alps... kind of ironic. :huh:

Cheers and show us some more! B)
Fernao

Fernao, yes this is a Wingnut Wings kit. If you're not familar with Wingnut Wings it is an off shoot of Vintage Aviator who builds full scale reproductions of these old war birds. They use the same construction methods and materials that the originals were made from. The Company was founded, or funded but Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame. If I"m not mistaken he is currently remaking "Hells Angles" movie and using these real aircraft in the movie.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

check them out, I really enjoyed the Pup and I suspect James will enjoy this build.

Very cool "double deckers"! :dude They seem to have a very good finish: do the parts fit well together? Maybe this would be a good collection to start... ;) Unfortunately I'll have to wait for sometime before I'm able to buy any hobby stuff. Well, as George Harrison sang, "All things must pass...". :)

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Absolutely stunning kits. Well engineered and put together. Next WNW after this is the Gotha GIV. Just got the seat belts for the Roland Gotha and my FE 2b and the new book from Windsock on building the kit. Fun times ahead.
James

A very little bit more done today. 1 gun almost finished.

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun3.jpg

The frame behind the seat. It just needs the lacing painted now.

behind_seat.jpg

And the seat cushion. I think it came out okay.

seat_cushion.jpg

Comments and critiques welcome.
James

I think the seat came out more than OK. Looks like leather.

That's an amazing looking gun, just don't let it launch off that clip!

;) LOOKING GOOD JAMES!
My Roland is on the way and I am trying to stay clear of all my others at present especially the Gotha and the pfaltz.
Man, I didn't know you could get the PE MG covers an barrels. mmmmmm Help!:ro:
I will watch with great interest.

Ian

;) LOOKING GOOD JAMES!
My Roland is on the way and I am trying to stay clear of all my others at present especially the Gotha and the pfaltz.
Man, I didn't know you could get the PE MG covers an barrels. mmmmmm Help!:ro:
I will watch with great interest.

Ian
The kit comes with pe cooling jacket or plastic. The Master barrels are awesome and the cooling jacket it turned brass. The end pieces are pe and grooved to fit in tight. I put the first one on wrong thinking it was surface detail and then popped off and put corrextly. Lookes better that anything I have seen.
James

Okay this morning I made a home brew for the interior grey green. It is greener than rlm 02 but greyer than British interior green. So Vallejo airbrush able RML 02, pale green, Olive green, and some white. I bought pill bottles from the pharmacist a few years ago and use them for mixing and storing paints for each build.

So the fuse interior with engine compartment painted, frames, and fuel tank. I have to mask some metal panels inside and spray them next, and put the ammo bins together and paint aluminum.

fusein1.jpg

frame1.jpg

int1.jpg

James

Little bit more done today. Side walls painted, intruments and stick done, other doo dads painted and frame installed. Tomorrow the seatbelts seat and maybe rigging inside. Having second thoughts on the scheme. While I really like it there are modifications to be made which I'm not sure I want to do. Second choice is a cool striped plane. Still thinking.

fuse_inside.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit_2%7E0.jpg

Doesnt look too bad. Am fairly happy so far.

James

Back