• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Review Build Opinion From You Folks

Tony lee

Master at Arms
This is only asking about Kit Review Builds.

I feel if you do a review build it should be just that,a build,a paint and finish is not necessary unless you are doing the build for yourself.
To me a review build should only be to inform the viewing public about the ease of clean up,how well the parts fit,any obvious missing detail components or bogus engineering mistakes,not meaning nit pickin the kit to death. Don't forget to point out instruction mistakes too.

How say you? What are you most interested in when you're looking for a review build on the net?

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

My reviews covered everything plus what aftermarket, if any, was available, and show what I would do to correct kit shortcomings or to make it close to a subject I chose. I did not feel the need to paint, decal, and weather kits as that is all personal. I did test the decals though.

It is very time consuming as is so avoiding the finishing stage only helps. It is one of the main reasons I stopped full build reviews.

Regards,

I agree with you Tony, build review should be just that. Painting is always something that's more unique for each of us and to get a gauge of the build we just need to know if the parts fit and if they look like they supposed to look like.

Review "build" should be just that. A quick build of the basic kit. Paint should be basic as called out in the instructions if any.

Eduard does quick builds showing their PE attached to a particular model. Recently the models are painted a basic black color. If you look at earlier photos of their show the PE builds, the plastic kits are just assembled and sometimes the fit isn't all that good.

If I were "given" a review kit to "assemble", I would do it OOB, with paint as called out. If I buy a kit for myself no way! My purchased kits will only get an "opening the box" review.

Agree. Build reviews should tell me as a reader how it built up, instruction problems, build problems, detail problems.
Painting and finishing is gravy although if it gives an idea on hen to paint and what in the build sequence that is good also.
If you know what AM is available and if it would help then by all means this is good to know also but unle3ss it is the reason for the review it shouldn't interfere.
Hope that helps.
James

I feel like a review build should be just a straight build from the box. Paint doesn't bother me one way or another. But it is nice to see how the stock decals work out. I also don't mind if somebody mentions what aftermarket stuff is available. But I hate when I see a review build where they tack on a bunch of aftermarket and then complain about how the kit fits.

Back