• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/72 TL Flitzer

MichelC

Hi everybody! This is my first build here on MA, right in the 1946 campaign. I just start a new thread, hoping that's alright.

TL stands for Turbinen Luftstrahltriebwerk. That's German for jet engine. With words like that no wonder they lost the war. :eek:hmy:

Flitzer means dasher. There's a second meaning to the word but I won't say what it is. Look it up on Google Images. Just make sure your kids are not in the room. :S

Back story: American GI's didn't get to watch enough Private Snafu movies and the offensive in Europe comes to a grinding halt, allowing the Germans to develop their wonder weapons and throw into combat, among other stuff, the Flitzer. :silly:

The kit is the ROG offering from their Luft 46 line. It's nice to see a mainstream brand turn their attention to a subject like this. Nice little kits, too.

sui.JPG

jssw.jpg

The decals sheets contains a plethora of stencils and stuff, which I always appreciate. No swastikas, though.

There is a detailing set for this kit from Airwaves.

9prl.jpg

The fit of the photoetch leaves a lot to be desired and I was off to a bad start. I'll spare you the details. Let's just say that the whole thing almost ended up in the O-file. But I thought the better of it and instead I came up with a dio idea I'd never have thought of had Airwaves done a better job. Use the motion that comes in and win, that's what I say!

In pics:

From the mess you can see here...

if75.jpg

...I managed to get out something that looks like a half decent pit.

cockpit012.jpg

That's all for now. I'll show you more in the next installment.

M

Looks nice Michel :good:

But you need a timestamp on your startup picks showing date and unstarted kit

//Mats

Thanks Mats, for letting me know what's the right protocol. I started this build some time in January but I'm afraid I have no pic with time stamp to prove it. What should I do?

M

I think you are very early in the assembly .... in my opinion will not matter,at all... :soldier ... but check with Moon Puppy(the man that say the last word)...

Best!

Luiz.

:popcorn
OK, friend, I'm ready.
I would suggest that you simply post a pic showing your phone or a newspaper with the date and continue, but I'm not the one who has the last the say - best check with the boss... (Moon Puppy).

Ian

Thank you all for you comm's and my apologies for jumping in without asking for the proper procedure first. As I said, I have no pic of the untouched sprues with time stamp. All I can do is put one up with today's date and the currect state of the build. It's a bit down the line compared to what I posted earlier but not that much. I hope that'll do. If not the thread can be relocated in another sub-forum, e.g. a/c WIP's and next time I'll do thing properly. ;)

Moon Puppy, your call.

M

Thanks Mats, for letting me know what's the right protocol. I started this build some time in January but I'm afraid I have no pic with time stamp to prove it. What should I do?

M

Press on! :soldier

I think we can give the new guy a break. :good:

Michel we ask for a proper startup photo on most of our campaigns because some are sponsored builds, meaning there may be a prize or poll on who did the best build, we just want to make sure everyone starts on the same playing field. So far this Campaign is not sponsored so I don't think anyone would have a problem.

:popcorn

Thanks boss, for the explanation. That explains the strictness of the rules. And thanks for accepting to bend them this time. :drinks

M

I agree with you MP, most pieces are untouched and you are new here, jumping in your first campaign! :good:
wish we had more people like you joining up (y)

let's see what you make with those pieces of plastic :popcorn

//Mats

Thank you all for the vote of confidence.

Here are some more pics of the work done on the pit. The first photo shows the thinning down of the walls near the opening.

cockpit007.jpg

cockpit012.jpg

cockpit011.jpg

Some detailing was added to the otherwise bare side walls with the salvage from the Airwaves fret.

cockpit009.jpg

cockpit010.jpg

Seat, IP and rudder pedals are OK. The later had to have new, thinner straps made from adhesive aluminum tape.

cockpit013.jpg

More to come...

M

:notworthy

I admire you guys that make all these small PE things, i'm glad if i can bend a gunshield!

Thank you both!

I finished going through all of this campaign's entries. There's some really cool stuff here! (y)

Back to my build. Here are some more pics of the pit, this time in color. ;)

cockpit025.jpg

cockpit026.jpg

cockpit028.jpg

cockpit031.jpg

cockpit021.jpg

The seat and stick are missing cos there are some fit issues, the Airwaves seat having a higher back than the Revell seat. That means reworking the seat once the tub is in place and the fuse buttoned up. No biggie, just has to be done later.

M

Thank you guys!

More work done, this time on the engine or rather what can be seen of it, namely the exhaust. Actually there are 2 engines: to assist the Flitzer in reaching altitude quickly the Heinkel HeS 001 turbojet was supposed to be supplemented by a Walter 109-509 rocket engine. Apparently, the rocket engine was canceled in the later stages of design but Revell has included it, which is just as well as it is imperative for my project that the a/c be equipped with maximum propulsive power.

Some detailing work was necessary here as the Revell HeS 011 is wrong.

engine019.jpg

The restrictive cone has an open end and there are 4 supports holding it in place. Something like this (the supports are done with thick aluminum foil from a soda can):

engine015.jpg

For the Walter engine, I had just the thing: Eduard PE leftover from my Komet build. Glued to a piece of tubing it plays the part quite well.

engine006.jpg

engine018.jpg

More to come...

M

Back