• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.1 to Werner Voss' Fokker F.1

Tankbuilder

I moved my Fokker Dr.1 to Werner Voss' F.1 Fokker triplane build from What's on the Bench to here.

This kit is the 1957 Revell 1/28 scale Red Baron Fokker Triplane kit.

Here's what's in the box. All the parts are in one bag and thus are totally unprotected. There are no clear parts because the Fokker triplanes did not have windscreens.

Here are the parts laid out to show what you get.

Here's a better look at the wings.

Here's a closeup of the kit Dr.1 tailplane. This is correct for the late Fokker triplane but needs to be modified for the earlier F.1 Fokker triplanes of which there were only three made.

Here's the modified version to use on Werner Voss' F.1 triplane. The modification I did was simply sanding the leading edges so that there's a slight convex curve on them.

Here's the kit tailplane and beneath it the modified one.

Here's the inside of the fuselage halves. Note, be careful of the rudder because it's very thin where it joins the fuselage and dropping the fuselage can snap off the rudder as you'll see further down this post.

Closeup of the fuselage half showing the 1957 copyright date.

The right aileron is the early F.1 style used on Werner Voss' triplane and also on the Red Baron's first Fokker triplane which was also a F.1 plane.

The left aileron is the Dr.1 style and it's the correct one for the Red Baron's second Fokker triplane which was a Dr.1 and was the airplane he died in.

This image shows the difference in the early and late aileron styles.

Here are the kit engine, cowling, firewall and prpeller parts.

(Btw, the proper term for the prop is 'airscrew' since it actually screws into the air and 'pulls' the aircraft along whereas a 'propeller 'pushes' an aircraft along. The term given to the latter type of aircraft was 'pusher' because of that).

Here's the decal sheet. Note there are letters & numbers for F.1 102/17. That was the Red Baron's first Fokker triplane. F.1 103/17 was Werner Voss' Fokker triplane. The F.1 would use the Maltese Crosses and the Dr.1 would have used the straight crosses if it's the Red Baron's final triplane.

Here's the cockpit and the engine assembled. There is no instrument panel per se in the Fokker triplanes of the type we're used to seeing.

Notice the electric motor"? I'm motorizing this model which is pretty easy to do due to the large size of the model and because the Le Rhone engine was a rotary engine and the entire engine spun with the airscrew. The Dr.1 used and Oberusal engine which was a direct copy of the French Le Rhone 9J rotary engine.

I'm going to run the motor wires down out of the bottom of the firewall and then use those wires as the landing gear bracing wires. From the landing gear they'll go into the wheels and then exit through grooves I'll cut in the tires and thence through the base for the model and into a small battery box.

The kit engine is actually pretty decently molded especially the cooling fins. Not bad for a 1957 kit.

Here's a closer look at the assembled kit engine on the firewall.

More to come when I get more done.

Cheers

BIG PARTS!!
Are you gonna rob the Bentley 150 HP. engine from the Sopwith Camel kit, to depict the lil' Fokker Herr Voss was flying on his last mission? That might be sehr kuhl! :ro:
It could be no one but me would notice the difference. HAVE Fun! It's looking GREAT! :ro: :dude :notworthy (y) :good:

BIG PARTS!!
Are you gonna rob the Bentley 150 HP. engine from the Sopwith Camel kit, to depict the lil' Fokker Herr Voss was flying on his last mission? That might be sehr kuhl! :ro:
It could be no one but me would notice the difference. HAVE Fun! It's looking GREAT! :ro: :dude :notworthy (y) :good:

Nope. The engine in Voss' Fokker F.1 at the time of his death was a Le Rhone 9J and the Oberusal was a direct copy of that one. The engine in the Revell 1/28 scale Sopwith Camel is a Le Clerget and thus is the wrong engine.

The biggest error in the Fokker kit is the mismatched ailerons. Those were on the museum plane that Revel faitfully copied for thisd kit. (you need to be very carful using museum exhibits as references)For the F.1 Fokker Triplane the leading edges of the tailplane needs a convex curve to them. Oh, and for an F.1 you also omit the wingtip skids.

Cheers

Some Tankbuilder! You sound more like a Planebuilder! That's a compliment either way (tank or plane).

Regards,

I'm baaack!

I've figured out how I'm going to connect the motor to the battery box on both Werner Voss' Fokker F1 and Manfred von Richtofen's DR1 Fokker.

Richtofen and Voss were very good friends. Here's an image of the two of them.

Here's an image of Richtofen's DR1 with the kit engine, prop and cowling plus the middle wing and machine guns dry fitted to the fuselage.

Here's a closer look.

The bracing wires on the landing gear are the wires from the motor to the battery box.

Here's an image showing how the wires will be run from the landing gear to the battery box once the battery box is mounted under the base the Fokker will be on.

I cut off the kit axles and made one from 3/332" styrene tubing. I drilled a hole into the top of the tubing to run the wire into the tubing. The wire exits inside the wheel which has a small hole drilled at an angle to come out in the middle of the tire. That will be the bottom of the tire that'll sit on the base.

Here's a preview of the model with the motor off and another with the motor on and the prop spinning.

Power off.

Power on and prop spinning.

Now that I have Richtofen's Fokker motorized I can work on Werner Voss' Fokker F1.

Cheers from Peter

Further progress.

Got the wings on and figured out an easier way to run the wires out of the bottom of the landing gear airfoil.

I simply sanded the ends of the kit axles until they were flat and then I drilled a small hole the length of the axle and ran the wire from the inside of the landing gear airfoil, through the axle and into the wheel. The wire is then run through a hole drilled in the wheel and tire.

Closeup before the landing gear airfoil is glued together.

With the inner wheel hubs in place and the landing gear airfoil halves glued together.

Closeup.

Now with the wheels/tires tacked in place temporarily.

Closeup.

Since then I cemented the tailplane braces, tail skid and wingtip skids in place. Just need to snug up those bracing wires and this one will be ready to paint.

Btw, the kit markings give two choices. #1 is the Red baron's F1 Fokker with Maltese crosses but the kit is a DR1 so those markings are wrong. #2 are thestraight crosses which are correct for the red Baron's last Fokker DR1 plane but remember one aileron on the kit is the wrong F1 aileron.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers from Peter

Well, the Red Baron's Fokker Dr.1 made from the extra parts of the second kit is nearly done. Just need to add the control horns and control wires. In the meantime I experimented with making a base for it and got the Fokker mounted on the base.

All markings are the kit markings. the red colour is a Krylon Fusion red.

Motor running in the rest of these images.

I should have the control horns and wires on in a day or two. I put the markings on first because it's a lot easier to pier the markings for the wires than it is to get the markings to fit around wires.

Cheers from Peter

Back