• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revel 1/20 scale Tony Stewart #20

kryptosdaddy

Just started this for my sis's boyfriend, I'm now at the point of assembly, but this pic will start it off..

ts_a_10-2-11.JPG

This is everything in the box except instructions and decals. here it is after it's bath waiting to be primed...

I'll say ONE thing about this, ejector drop outs, this kit had more of these on the main frame alone than some have alover. Although flash was at a minimum.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/hot-rod

Got a bunch of builds going on.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/current-campaigns

I think i'll build it here. here is the garage,

tony_stewart_2.JPG

Body painted with bright orange from a rattle can..

tony_stewart_3.JPG

And frame glued together NOT in the order of kit instructions!

tony_stewart_6.JPG

Not really a bad kit. I did one for my wife when that kit 1st came out.Also did a Ryan Newman car for myself.

Now this thing is a good little kit, but it has several problems. One is the crazy amount of ejector drop outs, these things are everywhere!

Second is the fit of the main interior parts-I primed the entire kit on the trees, and then did the first round of detailing while the parts were still attached, this worked fine until it came time to glue the roll cage in. The firewall fit the chassis fine but the pedals were below the floors surface! So one of the first things I found myself doing was making new pedals...

tony_stewart_7.JPG

Ok thats solved- now the instructions call for you to install the seat and the gear shift?! Thats dumb. Don't follow the instructions here, try this instead.

1- install the RIGHT side of the roll cage first
2-now install the LEFT side second
3- finally install the rear cage support and clamp this all together because the roll cage sides in mine didn't quite match up with the firewall sides!

So now you have two difficult gaps to fill. To some this will not be an issue but I'm building the car so the body is removable from the chassis- I have to fix all problems as they come up.

Engine doesn't go in until later, and forget the driver, he won't fit with the new pedals! lol.he covers to much detail anyway. And there is a good bit of this in the interior.

Not really a bad kit. I did one for my wife when that kit 1st came out.Also did a Ryan Newman car for myself.

Thanks Gene, It's not a bad kit at all, but I'm gonna pick it apart as i build it. I want to build this as clean as possible, and I have already begun to cut into stuff! The new pedals, I upholstered the seat with cigg pack foil, put in a coil wire and have already installed the spark plug wires to the engine-

I have to come up with something as I destroyed the tiny distributor cap trying to drill it out last night! But it's under the breather so my solution will be minimal.

When Chuck gets it I want him to like it- he doesn't build. Someone asked me 'why didn't you just buy him a die cast? Those are nice." They have NO idea! lol.

Thanks guys- I'm posting as I'm finishing- these pics are at the end of the day, finished around 8:30 pm Eastern - taken right after...

Tony_Sterwart_8.JPG

It's funny what the camera catches that the eye misses. I mixed gloss blue with MM flat black to give the seat body a different color than the cushion, wich is just flat black. Didn;t see a difference at the table! lol.

Tony_Sterwart_9.JPG

All that is missing for the interior are the steering wheel, gear shifter and the top of the roll cage. parts count on the kit according to the instruction sheet is around 78 pieces including the 4 for the driver, but I'm keeping him. shhh. lol

Taking a break from the other project until this is done- could finish Wed! :laugh:

Little more progress- not much on monday

DSCF0003.JPG

Sorry i can't live with a shiny engine!

DSCF0004.JPG

besides installing the engine and the exhaust-Then ANOTHER touch up, this is finished!

DSCF0005.JPG

Maybe you can see it, maybe not- trying to get a good photo of my seat belt! lol

Thanks- that's 'natural weathering' on the engine- I sprayed it with MM Titanium metalizer and then hand touched up with same during construction.

Where have I been with this? The interior has been done since last Thursday, I had the body painted orange and I then masked it off and painted the black highlights with the airbrush- it looked great except for a major leak on the tail-tried to get this mess off, and thought i did but then the paint kinda waved on me so i stripped the damn thing with brake fluid!

kit_bash_strip.JPG

kit_bash_strips.JPG

have it repainted now, soon it gets its second touch up coat of orange to help blend in the two applications.

I now have the greatest respect for you guys that spray the bright car colors- finding a weakness is a great thing! NOT lol :fencing CR

Re: Revel 1/20 scale Tony Stewart #20 DONE!!!

OK Painted!

tony_stewart_painted.JPG

And DONE!

tony_stewart_done.JPG

My very first race car. And my very LAST use of bright orange. lol

What's wrong with the orange? Looks fine to me. Nice job Chip! (y)

Did you look back at where I had to strip the dammn thing? Thanks for the compliment, and it does look nice, but I fought that orange all the way home!!! I won though lol.

Back