• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Phrozen Mega 8K S printer

You can look at photos all day long but you won't get a sense of how big this printer is until you see it in person. My previous printer was the Phrozen Mega 8K. The plate and vat on this are at least triple the size.
1000011611.jpg

I am glad I ordered several bottles of resin. I am looking forward to printing my first model. It may take some study before that happens!

So, what is the printer doing? Or what is it not doing?
It is strange. It will print about 90% of the model, IF it prints beyond the base layers at all, then it stops printing. It "thinks" it is printing because the build plate moves up and down in the air normally, but either the light isnt coming on or it has pulled away from the vat screen I guess because nothing prints beyond about two or three inches and the rest of the exposed resin is stuck to the vat film. I thought maybe my supports werent strong enough, but for them all to fail at the exact same height makes that unlikely. If anything, I oversupport my models. I can put several identical pieces around the plate, all supported the same, and some will print the base island only, some will delaminate halfway through and split, but ones that DO print beyond that successfully stop printing layers at about 90%. It is like someone took a sharp sword and whacked the tops off.
1000011966.jpg

If I send it back you can bet they will find a reason after it is inspected not to refund my money, and even if they do refund it is only 50% (well, between zero and 50%); so I would be out between $750 - $1500 AND not have a printer. At least I have a broken printer which could "pooossssibly" be fixed LOL. Phrozen IS working with me, but I have little faith in them. It is by email, and they are on the other side of the world so they get my email answer in their morning and I get their email instructions in my morning, so it is taking an eternity. They are "sure" it is a mechanical issue and not a software or firmware issue. And I am clueless because I am not an engineer and don't understand ANY of it.
Sorry for the long winded frustrated answer LOL.

But that dang winch looks cool, although I have to scale the file down some so that it doesn't overload my computer every time I open it. There are 110,879,283 vertices in that thing and my computer doesn't have enough RAM to support that and my RAM is maxed out. I need to get that down to about 5 million somehow. The learning curve is challenging!

It almost looks like the light source cuts out for a layer or two. That's all it would need to do. If the light source cuts out for a layer, then the next print layer is twice as thick and might not cure enough to attach to the existing print. The fact that it stops at a layer sounds like it is either a bad connection to the light source, or the light source is defective.

It almost looks like the light source cuts out for a layer or two. That's all it would need to do. If the light source cuts out for a layer, then the next print layer is twice as thick and might not cure enough to attach to the existing print. The fact that it stops at a layer sounds like it is either a bad connection to the light source, or the light source is defective.
That is my assignment for today, to watch the LCD screen in a dry run. No vat, but make sure the LCD screen matches the image in the touch screen. They also suggested I try a different flashdrive to make sure it is not defective. I have been using two different ones though, so I doubt it is that, but will get a new one to humor them.

Only thing I can offer is yes A bad usb can cause this. First let me ask you this, are you sure there is enough resin in the VAT? If so, to me it looks like the file is corrupted at that point. what I would suggest is to reload into what ever slicer software you are using and start over. This time...maybe you already do it... add all your supports like you normally do and save that file before you slice. Then go from there. I had a problem with my LCD screen in my phrozon printer and they took care of me. Yes I had to do all their test...it was a pain...but in the end I got a new 180$$$ LCD screen.

Only thing I can offer is yes A bad usb can cause this. First let me ask you this, are you sure there is enough resin in the VAT? If so, to me it looks like the file is corrupted at that point. what I would suggest is to reload into what ever slicer software you are using and start over. This time...maybe you already do it... add all your supports like you normally do and save that file before you slice. Then go from there. I had a problem with my LCD screen in my phrozon printer and they took care of me. Yes I had to do all their test...it was a pain...but in the end I got a new 180$$$ LCD screen.
I did the resupport and reslice test. It made no difference. I printed the test file they sent me and it failed at the 90% mark. They have relented and acknowledged that the printer is messed up and not just me. They are sending a new Main Board, Transfer Board, and USB. I don't know if by USB they mean a flash drive, (I bought a brand new one just for the test), or the USB reader slot for the machine. Anyway, it is getting fixed, or at least they are sending parts. Whether I have the skills to install them remains to be seen.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...
I made another thing. It looks more like a ship than a front bumper....but it's a front bumper. I could not find a hook or tow rings to download, so I had to make them as well. The dang hook took some time. I want to test print them before adding them to "thingiverse" and make sure they are sound.
Bumper with winch.jpg
Bumper with winch2.jpg
Bumper with winch3.jpg
Bumper with winch4.jpg

Only thing I see that kind of hits me as off is the "ROUGH COUNTRY" is a little proud. The letters are about twice as high from the surface as might be reasonable. If they are about half that height I would think they would look more realistic and also might print a little better. This has been a LOT of work Greg. I am impressed with what you have done.

Only thing I see that kind of hits me as off is the "ROUGH COUNTRY" is a little proud. The letters are about twice as high from the surface as might be reasonable. If they are about half that height I would think they would look more realistic and also might print a little better. This has been a LOT of work Greg. I am impressed with what you have done.
You are probably right. The whole thing is only a little over 6cm, about 2-3/8" and the winch will be less than an inch so I was hoping the letters might be "seeable" a little bigger. It's an easy fix though.

edit: I made it less pronounced and saved both files, just in case!

Last edited:
Brake Booster. I am going to make it in two parts, well three. 1 is just the Brake Booster as you see it here. 2 will be master cylinder alone. 3 will be the two parts combined.
brake booster.jpg
brake booster2.jpg
brake booster3.jpg

I feel your pain.
Last week the LCD screen on the LPP proportioner took a dump and all the magic smoke came out. The files for the pressure vessel were shaky so I upgraded to the 2.0 version from Smooth-On. The re-boot took HOURS! Then as if that wasn't enough, all the pressure calibration spec's were metric. Evidently I downloaded the UK/Canada software.
The USB's are unusually silly bastiges.
Now I gotta do math and everything!
OMAFA!!

Back