• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Phrozen Mega 8K S printer

You can look at photos all day long but you won't get a sense of how big this printer is until you see it in person. My previous printer was the Phrozen Mega 8K. The plate and vat on this are at least triple the size.
1000011611.jpg

I am glad I ordered several bottles of resin. I am looking forward to printing my first model. It may take some study before that happens!

This is a timely post. I am really leaning towards the PHROZEN SONIC MINI 8K S LCD PRINTER. It is not easy to find the right 3d printer. I saw somewhere a 3d printer came with "COB + Fresnel Collimating Lens". Really!? I need a 3d printer to english translation manual.

This is a timely post. I am really leaning towards the PHROZEN SONIC MINI 8K S LCD PRINTER. It is not easy to find the right 3d printer. I saw somewhere a 3d printer came with "COB + Fresnel Collimating Lens". Really!? I need a 3d printer to english translation manual.
Rather than paraphrase here are the definitions.
I started with an Elegoo Mars 2pro then got a Saturn, Saturn S, Saturn 2 and now have a Saturn 3. The Saturn 3 has COB and Fresnel lens and makes some amazing prints. There are a lot of photos in the 3D thread from the sstart of my journey to now. By far the best one I have printed with it the Saturn 3. There is a Saturn 3 Ultra which uses "COB + refractive light source, which reduces light dispersion and provides uniform and consistent light distribution, resulting in high-quality prints with a smooth surface and dimensional accuracy." From a friend in Germany, he is not sold onthe 3 Ultra, but a lot of other people are. I kind of wanted to try it, but I'm happy with what I have. The news is the Saturn 4 should be out later this year and I might look at going that route if it is better. I like Elegoo because they have the best customer support bar none, and they make an amazing printer. If you look on youtube, there are a number of excellent videos explaining almost every facet of 3D printing. I would not recommend an FDM printer for making parts, but they are great for printing tools, storage systems, bases and things that dont require great detail. I have the Elegoo Neptune 3Pro and 4Max and have been making stuff for home and work and modeling.
James

I have read that the print quality/detail is better with the PHROZEN SONIC MINI 8K S over the Saturn 3 12K. is this true? I am ready to get this ball rolling.

I've only owned Elegoo products so no idea which is better. I've been impressed with Elegoo so have not bothered to look at others. The Saturn 3 has a bigger build plate and higher resolution, but the Sonic has. a smidge more microns of detail, not that I think you would notice, but that could also depend on what you are making. Here is a side by side comparison.
You also have to dial in your machine and resin so that can make a difference also. The resin also plays a part. I tried water based and didnt like it. I really like Sirya tec Navy Grey resin and so far think its the best stuff I have used. Its all personal preferance I think.
JAmes

I have a figure I bought recently off of Etsy. It was a 12k print that was hollow with internal supports which really surprised me. Made the 1:6 scale figure quite light. Most of the parts like the legs were super smooth, Other parts like the boots and head had very, very small raster which could be seen only with magnification. Very nice figure and once the joining areas are cleaned up it should fit together perfectly. I am looking at the Elegoo Saturn 3 Ultra, but at this point am watching my cash flow so no printer yet. If they are coming out with a Saturn 4 soon, I might just wait a little longer.
Watched a video on the Saturn 3 Ultra and the prints looked amazing. As it is a 12k, the raster on the prints was almost invisible. Yeah it is at the $500 mark, but compared to what resin printers cost even a few years ago that is quite cheap. (yay!) I recently bought a watchmaker tool, a press to close stubborn watch cases and it was more than the printer. So I am going to be patient just a little bit longer.

If that's the stuff you used on the Sampan you sent me it's amazing.
Yup! The 1/1000 Fort Sumter and 1/745 CSS General Sumter ironclad James sent me are most excellent 3D prints.
Primer was unnecessary and they were completely cured on arrival.
:vgood:

JM2C, and I don't want to spoil the party, but go with Elegoo, or really any other brand than Phrozen. Phrozen customer service is the absolute worst and their warranties are worded so that you are SOL if a problem arises. Get screen procectors no matter what brand you decide on. I can't stress that enough. Get screen protector film. Don't get Phrozen.

Well, even though my printer does not work I am still making the print files just in case. Phrozen is emailing back and fourth trying to figure out why it won't work. I can't risk returning it because of the wording with Amazon, that all I can expect is between 0 and 50% refund, depending on the condition of the printer. So, I am going to cross my fingers we can get it working.

Here is a winch I have created to go along with the front bumper while we wait for the printer to work...
Rough Country winch.jpg
Rough Country winch2.jpg
Rough Country winch3.jpg
Rough Country winch4.jpg

Back