• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panzer IIF

maus

The Battle Of Kursk

This is the old Tamiya kit with options to make it motorized. I'm hoping this kit will restart the 4 month lull of model building. The box art identifies that you can model either a Pz IIF or G however, initial research indicates that there is no way you can build a Pz IIG. The kit only comes with IIF running gear and one type of cannon most likely the cannon for the IIF as well. :)

James

PZ-IIF_start.jpg

End of the first day, the white pieces of plastic strip in the lower hull is to cover up the openings for the electric motor. The turret with the exception of cleaning up some seam line is done. I drilled out both the cannon and MG barrels. Tamiya sure kept things basic on this kit. The majority of the upper hull is cast in one piece so there is not much to add. I am not to impressed that Tamiya does not give you the option of antenna placement as it is molded down in the tray.

James :)

Day_1.jpg

Day_1_turret.jpg

Hey James, good start but is this suppose to be for one of our Campaigns? You got a good start photo but the thread is in Armored Fury, our General Armor forum.

Hi Moon Puppy

Good point, originally I was just building and not worried about the campaigns as the German's didn't start production of the PzIIF until 1940 and stopped production in 1942. I have to do some more research on Kursk as the Germans did have PzIIs in units during the battle just not to sure which variants. If there were PzIIFs at Kursk then I will switch this thread over.

Thanks

James :)

Moon Puppy, James

Thanks for switching the tread over. :) There were still a lot of PzIIF on the eastern front during Kursk mostly in recce platoons.

The upper and lower hull is joined together and the running gear is ready for priming. The road wheels need to be cleaned up quite a bit as there were large ejector pin marks on the back sides of the wheels. A little more work left to do on the upper hull and its ready for the paint booth.

James

PzII_second_day.jpg

Well if there's any question of this tank being there, let it be asked now or forever hold it. :soldier

You go James :soldier

The Battle Of Kursk

I have airbrushed on the AK Dunkelgrau dark base and will have to wait until tomorrow before airbrushing the Dunkelgrau base. I used the Vallejo German red-brown primer which turned out darker than I thought. As you can see the AK product is having a difficult time covering up the primer. The Dunkelgrau is actually a lot darker than in the photo as I used the cameras flash when I took the photo.

James

PZ_IIF_30_Jan_2nd_AK_coat.jpg

The Battle Of Kursk

Almost looks like it didnt mix properly James. Watching with interest to see how you do this.
:popcorn
James

The Battle Of Kursk

If I may suggest? Try shooting another coat of the too dark color in the corners and such to cover the primer, then lighten the color mix with a buff. Shoot the centers of panels and such, leaving dark areas at the panel lines. I prefer to do this in progressive stages adding buff with each pass, you don't want too much light color all at once. This is going to look pretty stark, but tones down as you weather. Worst case, just repaint the whole thing, nothing but time and a little paint lost. B)

Looking forward to your progress. (y)

The Battle Of Kursk

That's what I did with my Corsair and Hellcat, realy think those shading techniques are not married to one type of modeling. I mean what works in armor modeling should work in aircraft right?

The Battle Of Kursk

Hi

Thanks everyone - James - could be it has been quite awhile since I used the products however, I did shack the container for a good 5 minutes.

Mike - Thanks for the idea I went with a second coat of Dunkelgrau base only in the areas where required, wow I am impressed. The camera I am using is my phone camera so it does not really give the paint justice.

31_Dec.jpg

today I added the Dunkelgrau light base and tomorrow I will add the high lights and then start weathering.

James

01_Jan.jpg

Back