• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panzer IIF

The Battle Of Kursk

Tracks on and I have started weathering and detailing the lower hull. Tomorrow I should have tactical markings down to a specific panzer regiment,potentially the 18th panzer regiment if I have the markings.

James

03_Jan.jpg

The Battle Of Kursk

Thanks everyone

I decided to go 7th panzer div as their 1st and 2nd companies in their first battalion at Kursk were light tank companies.

James

pz_IIF_6_Jan.jpg

The Battle Of Kursk

Good eye catching the inside of the drive sprocket with pigments, I know I have overlooked that many times. :soldier

The Battle Of Kursk

Thank you everyone

I am pretty happy the way the little Pz is turning out, I am going to detail and try to tighten up the tracks as well a little bit more dust and I think I will be happy.

James

8_Jan.jpg

added the pioneer tools tonight and added more wash to the muffler.

8_Jan_rear.jpg

The Battle Of Kursk

Nice build of a classic Tamiya Kit.

This was my first ever Tamiya kit back in '72. Nicely done.

Just a couple of points to consider, Kursk was very dusty and dry at the time of the battle, and it is unusual for a straight panzer grey finish to be present even on the older vehicles, as most had been over-sprayed in some shape or form with dark yellow or a Green/Yellow/Grey mix.

Ian.

The Battle Of Kursk

Thank you everyone for your comments

Ian, agreed, I have also seen a lot of pictures and colour plates with the gray over sprayed with dark yellow or a Green/Yellow/Grey mix for that time period. In my hunt for photos through all of my reference books and on line, I have come across quite a few pictures of PZ II ausf F still straight grey on the eastern front. One particular photo I have in a concord reference book is a picture of a PZ II ausf F in 20th Pz Div with a self propelled arty battery being used as a command vehicle, the vehicle appears to be overall grey with no over spray. Still looking for the photo on line.

I have attached a link which has colour plates for a PZ II ausf F unknown unit in Kharkov may of 43. I looked at a map and Kharkov is just not very south of Kursk and potentially the same terrain as well as dust.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer_II.php

I have added a mud wash to lighten the grey and well plan to use mig pigments to assist in the weathering, photos to follow shortly.

Thanks

James

The Battle Of Kursk

Just about done, waiting on one more thing and then I am putting the tank on the shelf next to my Pz I and Pz III. Added some dust today to give a look that it been out in the dusty fields of mother Russia. :evil: More photos to follow.

James

Pz_IIF_12_Jan.jpg

The Battle Of Kursk

James see if you can get the brush strokes out, blend it in with a dry brush or something. :popcorn

The Battle Of Kursk

Thank you everyone for your comments

Ian, agreed, I have also seen a lot of pictures and colour plates with the gray over sprayed with dark yellow or a Green/Yellow/Grey mix for that time period. In my hunt for photos through all of my reference books and on line, I have come across quite a few pictures of PZ II ausf F still straight grey on the eastern front. One particular photo I have in a concord reference book is a picture of a PZ II ausf F in 20th Pz Div with a self propelled arty battery being used as a command vehicle, the vehicle appears to be overall grey with no over spray. Still looking for the photo on line.

I have attached a link which has colour plates for a PZ II ausf F unknown unit in Kharkov may of 43. I looked at a map and Kharkov is just not very south of Kursk and potentially the same terrain as well as dust.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer_II.php

I have added a mud wash to lighten the grey and well plan to use mig pigments to assist in the weathering, photos to follow shortly.

Thanks

James

:good: - you did your homework. look forward to more progress.

Ian.

The Battle Of Kursk

Thanks Ian and everyone else that followed the thread.

Calling it done, I'm happy with how the little kit turned out regardless of age of the kit itself.

James

PZ_IIF_Completed_28229.JPG

PZ_IIF_Completed_28329.JPG

PZ_IIF_completed_28429.JPG

Back