• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Painting Oxidized Bronze

Dave Diaz

Hello everyone!

This article is on a simple approach of painting oxidized bronze which is useful when making things like monuments and such.

Dave's Trick # 6

First I want to point that this is only one of the many approaches that can be used to make this effect. I have found this technique easy to use and the results quite convincing. My best suggestion is to go ahead and experiment until you find a technique you are comfortable with.

Here is the list of the colors needed. They are all acrylics.
From Vallejo acrylics:
1.Tinny Tin
2.Brassy Brass
3.Bright Bronze
4.Bronze Green
5.German Fieldgrey WWII
6.Turquoise Glaze (from Citadel Color)

1-2.jpg

I will be using this fantasy warrior’s shield to demonstrate the technique.

2-3.jpg

I applied a coat of Flat Black primer.

3-3.jpg

Next I applied drybrushing using Tinny Tin. Make sure you cover a lot of the raised surfaces with this first drybrush.

4-3.jpg

Once dry I applied a wash using Bronze Green. This will represent the characteristic green patina that forms on bronze when it oxidizes.

5-3.jpg

Once the wash is dry a second drybrush is applied, this one with Brassy Brass. This coat is lighter than the first drybrush.

6-2.jpg

Next is a second wash. This time using German Fieldgrey.

7-2.jpg

Once dry the final drybrush was made using Bright Bronze and making sure you pick all the raised areas.

8-2.jpg

Finally I applied a thin coat of Turquoise glaze over the piece.

9-2.jpg

There you have it, oxidize bronze.

Dave

Back