• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-47D-20 'Hun Hunter XIV' * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

"Ooohh look, Dad, a movie star..."

William Wyler & John Sturges directed and James Stewart provided the voice-over for the 1944 documentary film 'Thunderbolt' which featured the 57th Fighter Group operating at that time out of bases on Corsica. Col Gil Wymonds' 'Hun Hunter XIV' featured quite prominently and so here's my attempt at building it.

There's no interior shots, as this is a 'rescue' project from around four years back. I had started it as the well known 'Bonnie' flown by Maj. Bill Dunham in the Philipines during 1944. The model is my first attempt at a Tamiya P-47 and was only scr*w*d by my own complacency, basically I made a real mess of the Alclad finish using far too many tones simply because I could. Looked bl**dy awful.

So I stripped it back, rubbed it down and started again about three weeks ago. Much happier with it now. Since I took these photos, I have masked and sprayed the wings and fin in Tamiya acrylic flat white, as a base-coat for where the yellow theater bands will be and the cowl ring which will be red.

Looking forward to getting to grips with that hopefully on Friday, my usual one-day-off-in-seven :eek:hmy:

AFN

Ian

P-47D-20 'Hun Hunter XIV'

Thats cool. Will have to look for the documentary also.
James

:popcorn

You got any pictures of the alcladII treatment? Just curious.

:popcorn You got any pictures of the alcladII treatment? Just curious.

Not for this one, Young Lunar Dog, but it was no different at all to the 'N'. Used the same tones from the same bottles in the same places BUT.... on this model, the tonal difference is more exaggerated. Go figure !! :gogo

Ian

Looking swell Ian. Hey, what are you basing the panel colors on? I've been looking for some good color photos of the Jug and can't seem to find any, from the war period that is.

Nothing in particular, looking at the same pics you've seen, the NMF P-47's seemed to oxidise very quickly and appear to be a 'uniform' dull aluminium tone. Hence I've used Alclad 'white aluminium' for almost the whole airframe.

It will all blend-in when I get the decals, weathering and satin varnish on. Stay tuned.

Ian

Hi

Ian, looking good. I have seen the documentary I love the non-politically correct 1950's narrating.

James. :)

Small setback over the last day or so. Started with a panel wash of Paynes Grey a couple of afternoons back, but when I came to wipe it off the (red) cowl ring the paint came off aswell.... :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

Can't understand why, I've used Tamiya enamel red many times before, don't know why it went so wrong !! - anyhoos I just removed the cowl, the cowl flaps and all the 'engine bits' and stripped the whole cowl back to the plastic, sanded and polished it and 'aerosol'd' another base coat of Tamiya glossy black acrylic. I'll respray it with Alclad next week sometime.

AFN

Ian

Just my usual weak thinners/Paynes Grey oil wash.... no different to usual !! - maybe should have quickly applied a brush-coat of Kleer/Future over the red to seal it :unsure:

Next time I'll use Tamiya ACRYLIC red !!

Ian

Yeah I think the oil will attach the enamel. Always good to have that seal coat between layers.

Think I'll be spraying some AlcladII tonight also. :popcorn

Back