• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

One for the bikers :-)

paddy

This is a 1/12 Tamiya Yam M1R
Yam1.jpg

Which i wanted to build as a Camel Racing bike using these decals
Yam2.jpg

and some PE :)
PE.jpg

These tamiya bike kits are probably the best kits they do in terms of detail and fit, even better than their aircraft so it difficult not to get a pretty good job...Frame stated silver but needs to be black, semi gloss is good.
Basicframe.jpg

Frameblack.jpg

things like this wheel spindle mount on the back of the swing arm and the stand bracket have to be cut out and replaced with PE
swingarmstd-1.jpg

SwingarmPE.jpg

These bike kits are essentially half a dozen sub assembles put together to make a complete bike so you have an engine
Engine1.jpg

Enginef.jpg

Handle bars
Bars.jpg

Frame swing arm and rear shock
bits.jpg

and a chain.....this has a hundred very small PE links in it :0)
Chain4.jpg

Chain3.jpg

On this build i tried a new method of doing carbon fibre rather than decals.
These are the parts
CF1.jpg

Sprayed gloss black and then sprayed silver through a pair of nylons :) (ask first) Stretch the nylons over the part tight against it them spray silver, it dries in seconds, remove nylons to give the pattern underneath..
CF2.jpg

CF3.jpg

the brake disc's are made up of a series of PE parts in a sandwich to give them thickness
Discparts.jpg

You should end up with this. The top 2 are the std plastic kit parts, the other 2 the PE upgrades.
Discsfinished.jpg

Thanks for looking, next instalment later today ;)

OK thanks chaps..the chain is not really a sparkly as it appears :) just a strange effect with metallic paint and a flash !!

These are the Forks which are Tamiya upgrades made of turned Ally and anodised Gold.
Forklegs.jpg

Time to start putting the sub assemblies together
bike23102.jpg

bike2310.jpg

The exhaust has a few areas of clear blue to represent over heating
251009.jpg

251009-1.jpg

Body work is all on one spru and needs to be yellow :)
251009-3.jpg

Fortunately Tamiya actually make a rattle can called Camel Yellow so that made things easy
bodywork.jpg

Decals are superb and fit perfectly, no mean achievement given the compound curves and shapes they need to fit over. Lots of Micro sol needed mind you :)
Camelyama4.jpg

Camelyama1.jpg

Very nice work!! I absolutely love the Tamiya bikes, but I have yet to actually finish one. I've got one I'm working on right now, that I'm hoping will be my first to complete.

I really like all the aftermarket detail sets that are available for these things, but unfortunately they are priced way beyond the meager budget I have for modeling.

Cheers adam
Keep an eye on ebay, maybe set an alert for decals. thats where i get mine, I never pay very much :)

Wicked looking bike. I'll have to resist, but man that sure does make me want to try a motor bike kit. Fantastic work (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Beautiful model Paddy. I'm not really into motorcycles, but I love models of them. Those Tamiya bike kits are
a dream to build (I even completed one) :D

Please show us more,

Tom

Paddy,this really looks superb!
Love the very subtle weathering on this one.
Almost missed this one,because I sporadicly go to the;Lets be civil section. :bang head ...and lights up a CAMEL cigarette.

Greetings,Ron.

Hi Ron
Its an old build but i was hoping to try and get people to look beyond their own section here....looks like it worked. ;) Every 10th aircraft i build i have to go and do something like this just to break the pattern :) Bikes are great fun to build .... in small doses !

Excellent work, Paddy! I'll second the emotion about bikes and small doses, the painting seems to take forever, but worth the effort! (y)

Back