• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Old photos.

OK Bob, and Bob. One more. On leave before leaving for Thailand. 1969, 20? yrs young. Young, dumb, and full of...never mind!......Harv :silly:
scan0003-1.jpg

Here are a few of me. First, 1957, 16 years old and did I think I was tough!!! Geez, I weighed about 140 pounds. Really scary! I'm on the left.
Brock.jpg

james dean! all my life i had (and have) a crush for james dean!
g070.gif

c062.gif

Me in Frankfurt in 1959, Tryin' to look like Elvis with dyed black hair and all! What a moron!
Elvis.jpg

please tell me what male youth in that time tried NOT to look like elvis the pelvis? ;)

The Inner City, 1978
Joe2.jpg

your body language tells "trouble rolling towards me! one wrong move and i'm in deep shit!" i would never want to witness you approaching me like that!

robert redford! all my life i had (and have) a crush for robert redford!
g070.gif

c062.gif

Me and my partner, (Undercover days) in 1976
Joe.jpg

how's starsky ... errrrr ... joe these days? enjoying his retirement?

I thought I would explain the name thing. Both my father and me were named William Robert Letterman. He went by Bill and I have always been Bob. In case anyone was wondering.

Bob

Thanks for the explanation, Bob. I'd guessed your first name was William from an email, however my curiosity had been piqued when I saw both a Bob Letterman and a William Letterman listed in the editorial team of some old Verlinden magazines I've recently come across. :)

Rudi,

The William was my father. He was an artist and drew all those cartoons in the old VP magazines, usually about one of those hated model society judges with the magnifying glass and the dental mirror. I would tell him the scenario, he would draw the cartoons, and then I would add the captions. That seems so very long ago now, well, it was. He died almost 20 years ago..

You know, One of these days I should write a book. I'm a walking history book of modern modeling because I was there, and in the middle of it all. Hmmmmmm?

Bob

Laura,

"your body language tells "trouble rolling towards me! one wrong move and i'm in deep shit!" i would never want to witness you approaching me like that!"

That guy was killed many years ago so I can tell you he was one of my major snitches. He was called "Mustard", on the street, and information from him over several years led to some major front page busts. He was a typical junkie and broke into cars and stole stereos and CBs to support his habit.

He wasn't a bad guy at all and we had an understanding. If he was caught dirty, I'd bust him, he was never into violent crime, and I'd have the prosecutor go easy, like a month or two in the workhouse. Although small things like having a joint in his pocket or something like that, I would overlook. Hell, with hundreds of murders all around me, who had time to care about a damned joint! In time he became a very valuable informant!

Later on, he was unfortunate enough to break into a Mercedes owned by a drug lord. My last favor to him was to send his killer to the pen for life!

It was just a coincidence that we pulled him over when the media was there snapping these photos.

Bob

Interesting stuff Bob

Was he killed because he was a informant or was it unrelated as in murder within that drug lifestyle.

My cousin was murdered in Canada because he was connected to drugs,silly thing was that he was getting out and cleaned up his act when it happened,...perhapes an old debt was left unpaid :(

I thought my mother was the only one that shopped at the Army/Navy store Cheyenne.
Picture001.jpg

Doing my duty up on the DEW line in Labrador(1965)
Picture002.jpg

Tony Lee:(

Hey Tony,

This was taken of me in 1943.
1943.jpg

Bob

Interesting stuff Bob

Was he killed because he was a informant or was it unrelated as in murder within that drug lifestyle.

No Andy, He broke into the wrong man's Mercedes, a major drug kingpin. When I heard, I tried to intercede, too late.

Bob

Bob[/quote]

You know, One of these days I should write a book. I'm a walking history book of modern modeling because I was there, and in the middle of it all. Hmmmmmm?

Bob[/quote]

BoB those pictures are Awesome.Very Cool shots. Andy is right That Collage Undercover picture is a Peach ! Love those shirt collars.:D Yeah the Newest T.V. show - St.Louis Vice(or St.Louis Blue), check your local listings:D (y) ! I remember hearing that St.Louis was rather rough back then . I live in V.A. but for some reason It seems to stick out ... a lot on th National News.? I also like th Under cover picture with you & your partner in th Driveway. Is that a Corvette & a Camero ? What is the Red car ? Great Pix Bob !! Thanx for sharing ! Now you have gained even more of My respect 1st. as a Model Genius & Now as a Man in Blue !

In all seriousness You really should right a Book !!! Tell all of it. From th Days on th Force - Modeling, I was on th edge of My seat listening to th Stories of you on th Force. I'm really hoping that you make it to the AMPS 2011 Show April 6th-9th. I'll look for ya & We can escape to th Pub & I'll just listen ! Great Stuff !:ro:

Laura - While you may have a crush on James Dean .... You realize that He didn't like Women ?:huh:

Thanks Again for sharing th Pix & short stories BoB !! Great Stuff !

I'll dig around & see if I can find some Old Pix. They won't be that old as I'm only 39 ! Anything from th '70's will have as a Wee Lil' Tike Modeler,baseball player/Rockstar ! :D
ERIK

Hey Erik,

Glad you liked them.

Not many people are aware of this, but St. Louis was the highest crime city in America for about 20 years. That was per capita of course. The metro area is nearing 3m, but St. Louis city is small compared to other large cities. The city is landlocked by 100 suburbs surrounding it and where the largest part of the population live. Per capita, from the 60s through the 90s, it was far worse than L.A., New York, Chicago or Detroit. In the drug world, it was a scary place for drug runners to visit, as the kingpins here shot first and asked questions later.

In my travels to Europe and Asia, I always visited police stations. When we talked of crime and especially homicides, the cops there thought I was wildly exaggerating the number of annual homicides in St. Louis. It was staggering. Today, it has calmed down as most large cities, but continues to stay in the top three and occasionally makes first place again.

My memories of those 25 years are some of the best of my life. I loved nailing the big guys. I worked in another town where there was little to no crime. I hated it. I wasn't cut out to be a traffic cop, people always talked me out of tickets. I knew most of it was B.S., but I let them go anyway. I moved to St. Louis and went to the worst place in the city and was all excited about it! Of course, I was young and really stupid and never even thought about the danger. Neither did my wife. Now, only when we remember, do we realize that I was a lucky one to have survived all that! Many didn't. There is a memorial now erected to honor all the cops that died back then. I knew many of them.

Bob

I also like th Under cover picture with you & your partner in th Driveway. Is that a Corvette & a Camero ? What is the Red car ?
ERIK

I forgot Erik,

My partner, Joe, had a yellow '76 corvette and I had a red '76 Vette. The red car in the pic was a Mazda, I think.

Bob

BoB,

Ah, Twin 'Vettes !! Rock-On !! Good Stuff !! Did you, by chance ever build a 1/24 scale model of th 'Vette you had ? :D

ERIK

I have had six of them in my lifetime and built a model of the very first one I had. A triple red 1962. I had that when I met Susan and we started dating in 1965. I bought it used in '64 for $1400. It had 1300 miles on it! Today you can buy one for around $70K. Wish I still had it! All my Corvettes have been red except for the 1993 triple black convertible!

Bob

You know what, Bob you could really write a most interesting book

Army years, Cop years, Model years, Gail, Susan !!

It would be a best seller !!

BoB,

Cherry !! Hells yeah ! I would have to say that My favorite 'Vette is the '63 that Split Window ! Boss ! Flip head lights ! But then there is th '69 ! That Body Style is Sexy !! Good Show with Your 1:1 collection of 'Vettes my friend !:notworthy

The closes I ever got, from the age of 5-7 I had a Model collection of 'Vettes !:D ....

ERIK

Bob,
Great stories and photo's, thanks for sharing. Now I know where Trump got his hair style from. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cheers,
John

Yeah John,

back then, my hair was so damned thick, it was kinda in your face, or rather mine. Unfortunately, I no longer have that problem, it keeps getting thinner and thinner. What causes that?

How about some pics of you and Maureen. Come on, when you guys were here, I mentioned that I would like to see you and Maureen when you guys first met, got married, etc. Get with the program man!:D :D

Bob

Don't you just hate that guy? All that Blond hair, Cool daddy rod, skinny...and young! :mpup

I do enjoy seeing your pictures and rods Sherm...thanks.

Back