• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Normandy Well Variations

Just a thought , .......... but maybe the metal pipe looking thingie on the left is a water feed ?

Could have been an old artesian [ sp ? ] well that dried up , and they added plumbing so they could turn it on and off ?

Erik I think you're talking about this one.

st-marie-du-mont-ofuntain-sept-2009-n-for-normandy.jpg

st-come-du-mont-fountain.jpg

Bam Erik, I think you nailed it. Check out the iron bracket up towards the top, the rod. the roof of the building in the background. Pretty amazing.

Also note the recessed stone above the hat of the guy getting water and then look just to the left of the American flag in the modern image. That looks like the same stone. I was able to copy and past the modern section of that stone to the older image and it was a perfect fit.Plus the door on the left side of the well looks the same in both images.

Cheers from Peter

Just a thought , .......... but maybe the metal pipe looking thingie on the left is a water feed ?

Could have been an old artesian [ sp ? ] well that dried up , and they added plumbing so they could turn it on and off ?

The pipe can be (hardly) see in the B&W picture too; you say it was added in the 30's or something?
Darío

First of all the [ b/w ] pic. is old to begin with WWII 40's , ...... who knows when the well was built , 1800's ? , .....

To me it seems that the only reason a pipe looking metal rod is sticking out of the left , top side of the well could be a plumbing addition .
Can't fathom any other reason for that metal pipe/rod , ........ the town well dries up , .......... we got this stone thing that doesn't work any more , ........

Sacrebleu , ....... we add zee plumbing to zee well , ..... and now she works again so zee town can use zee well ........

Without a pump handle to pump the water up from underground , a natural spring fed well would run all the time .
I don't see this well constantly flowing .

I just think at some time , or maybe from it's original construction this stone structure was plumbed to give water .

4437609429_c9381d31b0.jpg

Another angle, another time.

Best I can tell is the fountain is in St Marie du Mont.

mariedumontpump.jpg

Interesting that the guy here named this a pump in the file name.

There's some more shots on this flickr page.

Yes that is where the instructions say.
I would say the pump handle is the same on both sides. Long with the u shape handle. Also the hole in the top left front of the well would be where the pump mechanism is located and the slot is so the linkage can move. Good find MP.
James

Excellent find Pup , ......... now the pipe/rod sticking out the left top in the first pics. makes sense .

A question, if you please, about well pumps

Would they have been

A: a swing pump as in side to side

B: a full 360 type with a handle

C: an up and down type of operation

or doesn`t it really matter and they could be a combination of all 3 on different wells

and just use artistic license to acheive the desired effect ?

I coming real close to starting mine so Im just getting ideas together before I jump in (-to the well) :)

Andy, I think yes on all accounts. Remember that some of these wells would have been constructed by the local blacksmith so they may have used the best methods available to their imagination.

You use your artistic license, I've applied for my permit and it should be in any day now... :mpup

Nope!! "Artistic License" permits are on backorder!!!:laugh: Delays could be up to 6 weeks!!!
Sorry!!!!

Back