• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

No. 112 Squadron

Paulw

I have the GWH 32 P-40 B that I want to do in No. 112 squadron colors. I bought the Eaglecals decals for that squadron but they are for the Trumpeter 32 scale kit. I am thinking of painting the shark's mouth and foregoing the decals. How would one go about painting the sharks mouth? Since I have been doing research I find that the shark's mouth is different on each aircraft and some are with out. nay help would be appreciated.

I've heard people using those scalloped scissors to cut out a template. But I'm with Chris on this, If the kits are all B models surely the decals are interchangeable.

Well, when I do something like that (buy decals designed for another kit but I have a better kit on hand), I photocopy the decal sheet (ensuring the size is exactly the same) which allows me to cut it out, wet to soften the print paper, and 'mock' apply to the kit! If really off, I take another photocopy which is then glued to masking tape to create a... mask! The gaps are then filled with masking tape strips and needed & matched colors are sprayed on.

Luckily, you are to use it on a larger scale kit! The smaller the kit, the higher the difficulty factor. Since the RAF 112th Squadron sharkmouth were in three simple colors (red, black, and white), you can also apply the decals and paint over the gaps (if not for competition) or paint over the gaps and decals to ensure a uniform color. Lat option is to use the same red/black/white from other markings on the decal sheet to cover gaps as this ensures the colors match.

I hope this helps!

Copy the decal and make masks with the vinyl cutter you should have bought already, Paul. Or post a copy here and I'll do it for you. Maybe like this one. The curves around the front of the nose will be fun.

images

Back