• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need some figure painting advice.

jeaton01

I have been working on 10 1/48 figures and a dog from the Airfix Ready For Battle set and I have the basic colors on, but have no idea what to do next. I suspect a flat coat and then some oils, but it's time to ask the experts because I am well out of my depth here.

0342hurricane.jpg

I'm no expert but I would start with darkening the shadows, creases and lightening the high parts. Add some color to the guy's faces with the oil colors you have. Really subtle and build up.
I'm sure others will have more detailed suggestions.

I would suggest looking on Dakka Dakka forum. It is mainly for painting wargaming figures and those folks can really paint figures. I have a book someplace put out by Games Workshop that goes through a simple process, but it is really hard to just explain. (which is why I gave the Dakka link)

It amounts to dark washes and also highlights added which gives the depth and detail to these small figures.

Yeah, Bob, that's what I think they need but it's the how that is the problem, as usual. Paul, I'll check the link, thanks.

About the best I can tell you John is to check out this thread from years ago with a long MIA member.

Laura taught me how to paint a figure with this thread (jury is out rather I passed or not).

A little late to the thread but the flat clear or gloss finish is the start to protect your paint job. I have seen on the net a lot of modellers prefer using a gloss finish to help the the wash flow better.
I have always used a matt finish but everyone has there own technique.

Use a burnt umber and black oil paint mixed with the Mig or Ak thinner in a tin, tray or glass bottle. I prefer to use a mig thinner because it is not harsh on the paint.

Other alternatives are the Mig AK black wash broken down and mixed the with the ammo thinner works equally well.

The main critical part is to use a 0 or 00 Brush and apply the wash in the uniform creases. Test it out on old figures and build up in stages.
Use it in the bends of arms and legs to enhance the movement to make it stand out. If you use a larger brush it will be harder to control the flow of the wash on the figure.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back