• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

NAA P51 D-5 NA-1/18 scale

Hi Barney,

Thanks for looking in and your more than kind comment. I hope youll stay tuned.

Cheers

Geoff

I'm interested in the scribing of the panel lines, especially around the fairings. :popcorn

Opps, you're still updating your post...

The fairings around the tail plane are different between the the DFF and none DFF birds?! Did not realize this! Wonder if Tamiya addressed that in their 1:32 bird that comes with both tail planes.

Interesting...so how do you reverse the mold? :popcorn

Hi Moon,

Ive never seen a Tamyia kit so I cant say for sure. Im sure they did supply the proper tail plane fairings for each. Ill note also that they do have some glaring errors in the kit that Ive seen on built up birds, but thats a different discussion.

Cheers

geoff

OK, so once both molds were poured and cleaned up, it came time to see if the vac form could be realized. Below is the raw pull. There is still much work to be done on it but the fundamental shape is there. Youll see how much different they are than those found on AC with the DFF.

It took very slow and deliberate sanding to get the opening for the H stab just right. Over sanding in any spot would ruin the part. Frequent checks for fit are mandatory.

You can see how the two types of fairing differ from DFF to non DFF. One of the nice things about doing it this way is that the tail plane seam gets hidden under the fairing.

While the fillets still need to have the fastener detail applied, they would left for later finishing in order to move the tail plains forward.

The Mustangs tail planes were fabric covered originally. I think the change over occurred during D-20 production but Im unsure. By wars end, there was no telling what field mods were made to what airplanes. However, I am certain that initial production of D-5 and D-10 air frames had fabric covered tail planes.

Replicating fabric covered surfaces was the next task. Unlike the Brits, who stitched there fabric on, American aircraft reinforcing tape, or sometimes called pinking tape, was screwed into place.

After looking at period photos and photos supplied by P-51 Admin., Craig Quattlebaum, who has daily access to Mustangs at his job, it was concluded that even in this big scale, the fastener detail really wouldnt be visible. In this light, The decision to replicate the tape Using .0015 thick pressure sensitive foil was made. I have no idea where it came from other than some of my wifes Xmas wrappings.

The tape width used over the rib locations is two inches wide which converts to .111" in scale. The LE uses a wider tape as does the area which surrounds the trim push rod exit.

gotta run...ill be back...

Oh I see what you're doing with the molds, I thought you were going to replicate the fairings from one side to the other. You using them as an overlay, cover, just like a fairing. Excellent!

:popcorn

Oh I see what you're doing with the molds, I thought you were going to replicate the fairings from one side to the other. You using them as an overlay, cover, just like a fairing. Excellent!

:popcorn

Moon

Just to be sure youre seeing this right...the fairings are vac formed duplicates of the resin forms that were made using the silcone molds. What you see here isnt the molds.

Geoff

This will give an idea of how things are beginning to come together. You can see the tape layout on the rudder prior to priming with Tamyia Primer. It was generously applied so it flowed on the surface to blend the tapes in. I didnt want them to be prominent. They should be visible from some angles and not so visible from others.

The H stab tapes are laid out and the same process is used. The was correction required to correct the H stab shape at the TE. Its also been sanded way down to get the TE very thin.

Trim tab push rod fairing and the reworked trim tab. The tab and the associated hardware is made from sheet aluminum.

H stabs waiting for reinforcing tapes and nearing completion.

The empennage is near complete. While I got side tracked a bit working on the windscreen, work will resume on the tail feathers. Here it is as it sits now... All dressed up.

It took months to get to this point, but this is what I was aiming for....

I got one problem with this.

you said "The tab and the associated hardware is made from sheet aluminum." This I challenge, it was CRAFTED! Masterfully I might add. Craftsmanship is what comes to mind when looking that this. :notworthy

Dear Geo.

For sure , one of the best construction processes , that I have ever seen...very impressed with your technique (y)

Best regards!

Luiz

I got one problem with this.

you said "The tab and the associated hardware is made from sheet aluminum." This I challenge, it was CRAFTED! Masterfully I might add. Craftsmanship is what comes to mind when looking that this. :notworthy

Moon,

Deeply flattered by your comment. However, I dont see what I do as anything special. Besides, you dont see all the screw ups :lol:

Thanks Bud...

Geoff

Sometimes it gets very quiet. Please keep posting though. This is a quite interesting build.
I keep going back over the pictures seeing what I might have missed the previous times. Finally my curiosity has got the best of me. What did you use for the ribs? Is it some special tape or ???
JAmes

We are shocked into silence by your awesomeness… :coolio

Quite so!

Great work Geoff. It is not quiet, just that the majority of the group is in the Western Hemisphere and this troublesome thing called work gets in the way!

Regards,

Back