• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram 1/48 F-8 Crusader

Thanks guys!! :)

Yeah theses Aero Master decals are really good. Ive had no problems with them at all. I checked copyright date and was surprised to see March 2002! That says a lot about the quality.

That being said the stars and bars over the refuelling probe hump came as 4 separate decals, an upper half a lower half and the two red bars with tiny radius end to match the blue disc! quite a bit of fiddlelyness but they really went down easily. I could move them around to line things up and after wicking away the excess water they stayed put. A dab of CHAMPS and an hour later perfect. Even the intake warning bands layed right down!

Im giving all the credit to Aero Master all I did was stick them in place. :yipee
I have a few more to add on and then its load out time, the Sidewinders are poor but I have none in the spare box so I'll have to make due with Monograms parting seams and e pin marks. More later.

You still got some Champs?! :rotf
I acquired a bottle the other week, barely used, wonder what proof that stuff is after all this time. :drinks

Yeah Bob I got some CHAMPS. The same bottle I bought way back when you first heard about the stuff. what 5-6 years ago?? :idonno
It is still working as good as new. I think I may have 1/2 of the bottle left.

bumping right along! Decals finished! I'm starting to weather the landing gear and wheel wells. Just a thin black pin wash to pop out some detail.

Picture001-3.jpg

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

Looking good Greg. I keep reading how the stock landing gear will cause the gear doors to hit the ground. But seeing your build it doesn't look like that is the case.

Getting a little closer to the display case. i finished up the weathering on the landing gear and installed the missiles and their launch rails. Next step is to give it a coat semi gloss clear to seal up the decals and tone down the shine a bit. then I think it'll be finished.

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture002-3.jpg

Picture004-3.jpg

as always thanks for looking!

Sorry for the absence guys! I been having a technology melt down here. First off my computer blue screened out on me, that I've been able to jury rig back to life,but probably not for long. Then a family of squirrels have been chewing on our fibre optic cable all but wrecking my life,nerves and marriage. That and taking out phone internet and tv on and off for weeks. ISP has been here 5 or 6 times in two weeks trying to fix the problem. I got a new modem and two new HD set top boxes out of all this only now to find out its been damn squirrels !!! :frantic

Hope to get up some finished pics of the Crusader in a day or two.

Back