• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'Modern' AFV kits, some questions from a novice...

ij001

Mentioned a couple of times, I've found the modern armour builds happening on the site to be really inspirational, and I'm keen to move even further away from my aviation building 'comfort zone'. Ransacking my stash recently I dug-out three kits are untouched or only just started: A V-100/M706, an M106 and an (early) M2... Of these the V-100 is most likely to be finished first following the Dodge WC54 that is occupying the bench at the moment.

So my questions are about the following kits:

Trumpeter 'Centauro', Strv-103 & SAM-6
AFV Club Centurion V (the NATO/105mm version)
and the 'new' Takom Leo 1A5.

I've read the reviews that I could find, looked at the photos on various forums, but would just like to hear from anybody here who has 'first hand' experience of any of these or at least has them in their stash (I know James has just bought another Centauro). Is there anything I need in any of these that I need to be particularly aware of ?? Do I 'need' to buy replacement tracks/wheels (please say "no") ??, is there any of them that are particularly easy to build ?? - More to the point do I need to run-a-mile from any of them because they a nightmare to put together ??; just basic questions really I'm a simple soul and at this point I'm not too concerned about Nth degree accuracy.

Of the four machines mentioned, the Centauro and the Leo really appeal, the former purely on aesthetics alone, I mean just look at it, it looks like the armour equivalent of a Ferrari 365 :coolio , and the Leo 1 I like simply as I spent a fair bit of time in (very) close proximity to back in the early and mid 1980's on ReForGer exercises with the TA and then later when I was occasionally sent off to work with RAFG Jaguars (there was a 'Heer' exercise & training area a few kilometres up the road I recall).

...'so over to you guys - I await your sage guidance and advice.

:soldier

Ian

I've built a Strv-103, I really enjoyed the build. I'm still need to finish painting it. There was no "pit falls" in it. I have also build one of each Tamiya and Academy M2 early versions. Tamiya was better molded but no problems with either.

You have the skill level to do anything. I would say jump in and have a good time. :good:

Okay The Leopard C2 /1A5 is a very nice kit. Read review here for a more informed decision.
http://leopardclub.ca/reviews/Takom/1A5-C2/

Strv I'm not sure about.
SA-6 can be built and look like a SA-6. There are corrections available though to fix the missles and enhance detail. As far as I know missles are the weak point.
Centurion. Very nice kit. Depending on the version you want to build you would be better off getting refs. It will build up into a recognizable Centurion oob.
Centuro. I am doing the Spanish one and have all the am for it. As far as I know it is a nice kit. I screwed up my first one though by not paying attention to the instructions. You might want to read ahead before hand.

Any of these will make a nice kit.
The Meng Leo looks awesome too. I saw one review where it was picked apart for not being real. All the gripes seemed to be things you would never see.

Hope that helps.

PS Meng T-90 is awesome.

James

Strv I'm not sure about.
I know that the kit is not to the correct scale but it is nice.

SA-6 can be built and look like a SA-6. There are corrections available though to fix the missles and enhance detail. As far as I know missles are the weak point.
Aside from the missiles, the road wheel spacing is off. Still a nice build.

Centurion. Very nice kit. Depending on the version you want to build you would be better off getting refs. It will build up into a recognizable Centurion oob.
If you are interested in building the one you see marked as the subject, these kits are very good. The road wheel construction is a bit strange so many replace them. AFV Club sell affordable tracks for their Centurions as well.

Centuro. I am doing the Spanish one and have all the am for it. As far as I know it is a nice kit.

I have two different Centauros with a large amount of AM for them because, like you, I love the looks. The only thing really needed to improve the looks is the RB Model barrel which is the correct length and proportions.

Centauro_004.JPG

I also have corrected some angled and details on the turrets but that is just me, it is not needed by most.

Centauro_003.JPG

Centauro_008.JPG

Regards,

...'well I did it.

h76ef75c.jpg

I just ordered one of these !! :soldier - spent some time chatting with Michael Shackleton who runs the Leopard Club website, also looked at the RoG/Italeri Leo 1A5, which you simply cannot get hold of and the Italeri 1A4, which you can buy, but for more than the Takom kit and it's over thirty years old !!, so in the end, common sense was mixed with economics and the aforementioned desire to build something outside my normal comfort zone.

Ta-daaaa !!

Thanks folks for getting involved, always, always appreciate the responses. Back to the WC54 now, more soon.

Ian

Back