• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modelers Alliance World Cup

So I split this off on another thread.

This will take a bit of planning.

First I"ll create a forum with the subforums.

[ul]
[li]Modelers Alliance World Cup[/li]
[ol][li]Armor [/li]
[li]Aircraft[/li]
[li]Ships[/li]
[li]Auto[/li]
[li]Figures[/li]
[li]Science Fiction[/li]
[/ol]
[/ul]
I'll start a thread in each on and you sign up on that thread.

Once the builds are done we'll have the voting done in the top level forum.

We'll start Aug 1 right?

Remember NO wip threads. I don't think anyone should know what the team members are working on. Only that they have joined the team. If the team members want to talk to one another they should do it via PM. Let's build some excitement among the rank and file by surprising them at the end with what is built.

B)

OH! Didn't realize that, I thought no WIP meant no started builds.

So how do we ensure the builds are started during the campaign?

So I split this off on another thread.

This will take a bit of planning.

First I"ll create a forum with the subforums.

[ul]
[li]Modelers Alliance World Cup[/li]
[ol][li]Armor [/li]
[li]Aircraft[/li]
[li]Ships[/li]
[li]Auto[/li]
[li]Figures[/li]
[li]Science Fiction[/li]
[/ol]
[/ul]
I'll start a thread in each on and you sign up on that thread.

Once the builds are done we'll have the voting done in the top level forum.

We'll start Aug 1 right?

Remember NO wip threads. I don't think anyone should know what the team members are working on. Only that they have joined the team. If the team members want to talk to one another they should do it via PM. Let's build some excitement among the rank and file by surprising them at the end with what is built.

B)

OH! Didn't realize that, I thought no WIP meant no started builds.

So how do we ensure the builds are started during the campaign?

Ok dated start ups only. I just don't want any favorites developed during the build.

B)

Ot... They can post their dated start up with their finished model if you still want it to be a complete surprise

This is exactly what I need to get my arse to the bench, but have a few questions:

I'd probably be in either Sci-Fi or Figure, leaning towards figure. I hear what you say regarding landscaping, but I'd most likely be building a Moebius kit, like Dracula that has a sizable base (floor, walls, door). Is that too dioramaish, even if it's in the box? And when you say no landscaping, does that mean no weathering?

The other thing is I fully understand the appeal of surprise at the end, but at the same token, WIP is what attracts eyes to the site. I like to share my work and watch others, I'd feel like I'd be left out of the conversation if I was building and couldn't post it, especially for 6 months. I hear you regarding contact with team members, etc, but sending pics back and forth and keeping up separate conversations may get tired quick. The beauty about MA is the ability to check in whenever you want or can, I'd feel like I'd be leaving someone hanging if I didn't respond right away and then it becomes yet another responsibility. Honestly, at the end of the day I get so little done, not posting what I do build for your guys to help/comment on would probably keep me from joining in purely for the ability to post.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic idea of categories and heats based on popular opinion and perfect as a friendly build, sort of CTA with a kick,. It has to be friendly since it's so broad in scope, if I build a styrene Frankenstein but someone else builds a beautiful garage kit, I myself would choose the most impressive, which would likely be the better kit. Just as if someone builds the fully Monty Yamato and someone else a Revell PT109, you kinda have to expect which would be more impressive in the end. Not to take away from the skill of any of those, but it's not like it's for a cash prize or something.

This is exactly what I need to get my arse to the bench, but have a few questions:

I'd probably be in either Sci-Fi or Figure, leaning towards figure. I hear what you say regarding landscaping, but I'd most likely be building a Moebius kit, like Dracula that has a sizable base (floor, walls, door). Is that too dioramaish, even if it's in the box? And when you say no landscaping, does that mean no weathering?

The other thing is I fully understand the appeal of surprise at the end, but at the same token, WIP is what attracts eyes to the site. I like to share my work and watch others, I'd feel like I'd be left out of the conversation if I was building and couldn't post it, especially for 6 months. I hear you regarding contact with team members, etc, but sending pics back and forth and keeping up separate conversations may get tired quick. The beauty about MA is the ability to check in whenever you want or can, I'd feel like I'd be leaving someone hanging if I didn't respond right away and then it becomes yet another responsibility. Honestly, at the end of the day I get so little done, not posting what I do build for your guys to help/comment on would probably keep me from joining in purely for the ability to post.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic idea of categories and heats based on popular opinion and perfect as a friendly build, sort of CTA with a kick,. It has to be friendly since it's so broad in scope, if I build a styrene Frankenstein but someone else builds a beautiful garage kit, I myself would choose the most impressive, which would likely be the better kit. Just as if someone builds the fully Monty Yamato and someone else a Revell PT109, you kinda have to expect which would be more impressive in the end. Not to take away from the skill of any of those, but it's not like it's for a cash prize or something.

When you walk into a large model show you don't have any idea what you are up against do you? At least until you walk into the room. Allowing WIP would be like campaigning for your model even if it would be (hopefully)in an indirect way. For the World Cup participants should not be getting help from anyone. They should stand alone do their best and hope for the best.
When considering a base you have to ask yourself if it might give the focus of your build and unfair advantage over your competition. We could say that the base is not to be considered, but the human eye has already seen it and brain has already made the decision. A figure for this build should not be displayed in it's natural environment so we can consider the figure only. I know this seems stringent, but I had to fair across the whole spectrum.

B)

Again, I think you have a great idea, I'm just looking at it from the other side of the coin. I come here to see stuff and hang out.

I thoroughly enjoy watching builds come together, then even more so when you guys come back with hardware from a show.

I look at this as missing out on 6 months of seeing builds, then a competition. Very cool competition, but it will be short lived.

6 months of not posting (which should be your best work) seems weird for the forum in general, since it may mean that the guys who are building for the competition won't be posting any work if they're concentrating on their comp build, which means less traffic. Maybe more PMs, etc, but less general traffic since I doubt I'll be seeing much styrene between August and February or am I missing something?

I don't mean to be a curmudgeon at all, I just have see some forums deteriorate over the years because members posted less work (for a variety of reasons).

From personal experience, less new things mean visits become less frequent. And when I would visit, no one was around, nothing was new and soon after there was nothing but cat videos and a bunch of threads that started, 'what ever happened to...?"

Not saying that would happen and I hope it never does here and I will absolutely watch and vote in the Cup, just explaining where I'm coming from and I'm not just pissing on things.

I'm seeing both sides of this and I think I may have a compromise.

I can create security groups in the teams names. Create the team forum and only the teams can see the forum. That way the teams can share what they are doing but keep it private from the others.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? I think this got way too complicated. Building models,learning new ways to build better models and having fun along the way is what the intent was originally. How does building a double secret project do that? If this makes me a wet blanket, then so be it.
You boys have fun, I'm going to the bench.

Bob, I'm not against the idea, you don't need a compromise to suit me.

I'm just worried that if yours, Terry's, Christian's, Luis', Mike's or a whole host of others work goes dark to non team members or others who aren't in the build, the sheer volume of viewable items will drop significantly and then it's less of a model building site.

I visit constantly, even if I don't build or respond (sometimes I'm viewing where I can't type of don't have time to) and enjoy the heck out seeing stuff, so I'm sure there are others too.

I thought the idea behind this (I may be wrong) was to scare up excitement, I'd be afraid of it having a cooling effect until it's voting time, then it's done.

Think about it, if Paul and I don't join a team, doesn't that mean we will only see very limited amount of work?

A build doesn't have to be a total 6 month of one modelers productive project. I am sure that there will be quite a few modelers that will be building just as many builds with WIP posts inclusive through out the year. However, if you require to only participate or conduct builds solely with in the team then you have a valid grievance. I don't really do that many WIP builds my self so it is no skinny off of my back. Just have fun at what ever you do .

Jeff I hear your concerns and if the World Cup was the only thing going on I would totally agree with you. But there will be other things going on that should keep us busy.

Jeff I hear your concerns and if the World Cup was the only thing going on I would totally agree with you. But there will be other things going on that should keep us busy.

still warming up to this one, but I have to say I agree with Bob, I think with the amount of building going on, 1 campaign in the dark shouldn't be that detrimental.

Thoughts? I think this got way too complicated. Building models,learning new ways to build better models and having fun along the way is what the intent was originally. How does building a double secret project do that? If this makes me a wet blanket, then so be it.
You boys have fun, I'm going to the bench.

You're right too complicated.

time to hit the reset and go back to "Build What You Want" or "Build How You Want" etc. whatever

Yep back to the bench.

See ya,

:salute

Back