• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mi-4 Hound in Romanian colours 1/72 Hoby Boss kit

White_Wolf

Master at Arms
Years and years ago, I built this one as a kid and I loved it. Here's me going back to those days, trying to do a decent job out of this kit.

The Romanian Air Force was the 5th in the world to have helicopter units, both as fighting machines and auxiliary. They still do, locally made under licence, but that is another story.

Back in the day, a number of Mi-4 were bought from the USSR and used in the Air Force as well as civilian purposes. This is my rendition of a Mi-4 in the Romanian Air Force. Some old photos below:

h8d238d7_2017-01-25.jpg

A locally made IMS 57 disembarking from a Mi-4

h94d3a4f.jpg

A sad state of affairs - this one is located at the Aviation Museum

h3a56708.jpg

Mi-4 - civilian. First sea rescue operation using a helo in Romania. 29 November 1963, a Turkish ship was in big trouble during a terrible storm in the Black Sea. The cargo ship was about to go down. They asked the Odessa based USSR helicopter rescue for help and were turned down. Then, they asked the Romanians for help. 5 men jumped on that Mi-4, went there, and, after a 4 hours operation, they got all 22 crew off the sinking ship. They did that one by one, tied to a cable, flying them off the ship onto the shore.

I can't do this one, because there are no photo references I could use. Instead, I will do the 127 that sits in desolation at the Aviation Museum, trying to show it during its' better days.

Starting photo.

h588eb4d.JPG

Thanks for watching

Laurence

Neato. It makes me think I should be working on the Hound I started for one of the campaigns. :hmmm
James

I am learning to not start any kind of a big build for anything as I build so slow and steady. (well sort of steady anyway)

I always enjoy the history photos Laurence! This will be fun.

I am learning to not start any kind of a big build for anything as I build so slow and steady. (well sort of steady anyway)

I always enjoy the history photos Laurence! This will be fun.

Thanks Paul :notworthy
My approach to building stuff is like this.... The kits that I do, I am trying to add as much detail as I possibly can. This helo is different, because it is a sentimental build, and 1/72 isn't my scale anyway. I considered doing it with the doors open, but, the issue is some very nasty sink marks on the curved doors, that are just a nightmare to even consider tackling. If I did this in 1/35th, I would have certainly presented it with all doors and hatches open.
For the other kits, 1/35th armor and similar, I am trying to find interesting schemes, colors, and add a ton of details where possible. I am now looking for kits that allow me to do that, doors / hatches / various other parts that can be done to show interiors etc etc.
I have been working on slowing down and not rush to the finish line anymore. A while ago I was rushing like mad to finish 5-6 models for the upcoming competitions. Now I am focused on finishing one to the highest standard I possibly can. I admire people who have the patience to do it slowly, that is a winner :D

Laurence

Thank you Gents :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Bit more done today ...

ha935bec.JPG

h85840ec.JPG

h7d501fd.JPG

Moving to priming and painting ..... flying things not my forte, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Intend to do a Vallejo Primer, then Vallejo for the blue belly and Tamiya Olive Drab for the rest.

Thank you all,

Laurence

Wouldn't dream to give you advice, Laurence, but I'll offer an observation. Early Helo's no matter who's colours they wore, especially transporters, were grubby dirty things, if you want to dirty it up, focus around the engine cowl (underside particularly) and the interior around the loading hatch if you are opening it.

Maybe think of it as a flying short-haul delivery truck that gets used and knocked-about but not abused like a skip !!

HTH

Ian.

Wouldn't dream to give you advice, Laurence, but I'll offer an observation. Early Helo's no matter who's colours they wore, especially transporters, were grubby dirty things, if you want to dirty it up, focus around the engine cowl (underside particularly) and the interior around the loading hatch if you are opening it.

Maybe think of it as a flying short-haul delivery truck that gets used and knocked-about but not abused like a skip !!

HTH

Ian.

Ian my friend, you are way too kind. Let me say this, if I ever get to do a plane half as good as yours, I'd be very happy.

This is not going to have the doors open I'm afraid, it's way too sinister to fill in the sink holes in the doors. If I bought this one in 1/35th, then yes, by all means, everything would have been open.

I gave it a coat of Tamiya OD, the belly is Vallejo. I am thinking of buffing it somehow to make it smoother. I don't have the Future thingy unfortunately, can't find it in Oz anymore, so I have to think of something else.

Like I said, any suggestions and advice, more than welcome.

Laurence

Back