• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Meng Models HS-001 Middle Easterners Review

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Meng Models have added to their model line by releasing the first in the HS series. Knowing how they use Latin names in the other lines, I would have lost a bet by stating these would be Homo Sapiens. Instead, they are simply the Human Series.

MengHS001BoxFront.JPG

The Kit
Inside a box with a nice looking illustration, we find only one sprue within a plastic sealed bag. The sprue contains twenty six well molded parts and one has benefited from a sliding mold.

MengHS001BoxRear.JPG

From these parts, four figures can be completed as seen on the box top. The rear of the box serves as both instructions and paint suggestion. These are one militia man, a woman, a young girl carrying a sack, and a boy. The plastic is the usual Meng Models' variety which responds well to sanding, filing, sawing, and cementing but does whiten and fracture when bent. When dealing with figures, it is good to have a plastic which allows bending for final tweaking of parts.

MengHS001SprueFront.JPG

MengHS001SprueRear.JPG

MengHS001xDetail01.JPG

MengHS001xDetail01a.JPG

MengHS001xDetail02.JPG

MengHS001xDetail03.JPG

MengHS001xDetail04.JPG

Assembly
The adult male consists of seven parts(A1-A-7) which are the head, front and rear torso, legs and arms. He is posed as if leaning and, from the box top art, can be shown against a pick up such as the one marketed by Meng Models. He is wearing a knit cap, military cut trousers, a looser military jacket, and sports a scarf. His face is sculpted with a beard but I wish the sculptor captured the shape of the forehead and cheek bones seen on the box art.

The woman is comprised of five parts (D1-D5); hands and forearms, body, and feet. She is shown wearing a thawb, with salwar underneath, a flowing abaya, and a hijab with niqab over her face. Photo five. It should be noted that, in Afghanistan, the burqa is expected instead. She is posed walking briskly with and undercut achieved by a sliding mold to which the feet with sandals are attached.

The young girl is comprised of eight parts (B1-B8). These are her head, arms, front and rear torso, feet, and a sack. She is wearing a thawb and niqab. Again, I wish the sculptor would have followed the box art, which seems to be based on a photograph, as her features and clothing are better represented on the cover. She is posed carrying a sack on her head by grasping the front corners.

The last figure is a very young boy. Parts C1-C6 comprise of the head, arms, torso, and legs. He is shown walking and wears Western clothes. His face is well sculpted and will look god in a scene.

Conclusion
An interesting release. I particularly like the females as their traditional garb does not limit them to modern scenes. If the faces closely followed those of the box art, I would be much happier. However, it is a welcome release form a company not afraid to venture into areas only the aftermarket had treaded.

Regards,

Re: Meng Models HS-001 Middle Easterners Preview

Oh nice the 2 female figures wont even be period specific at that. (y)

Re: Meng Models HS-001 Middle Easterners Preview

Those look nice Saul. I'm trying to think if I really want to get some for my trucks. I wonder if they might come out with a crew for the trucks in relaxed poses, but ready for action.
James

Nice review brother-- I am going to have to break down one of these days and try my hand at something from Meng...

Back