• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Magach 6B Gal - MENG

iambrb

Ok so ending the end of the year by starting a new build! I have a few builds in progress, one painfully so, and I needed a break, so decided to use this as my first Meng kit 'Ev-Ar.' A few years ago I build the Academy version of this vehicle, complete with mine-roller, and the age and poor moldings/build process made a it a bear to deal with, so looking forward to getting into this one.
jQ0SlGG.jpg

Wow is this box thick! 4.25 inches/108mm!
b9w38WD.jpg

When you open it you find out why. about 23 threes of parts, only 5 of which comprise the separate link tracks, along with a 27-page booklet (Desert publications?)
CEqIhf2.jpg

nBBgNQg.jpg

so with some Steely Dan to start off us off, I get her underway:
cfueIbY.jpg

Not sure how long this will take. if it's anything like my other builds, combined with my work schedule, it wont be fast, but looking forward to it just the same!

@iambrb, maybe use the mine roller from the Academy kit for this one?

Something like this?
39ef52d103b71a65de25a5ebf5121dab.jpg

Regards,
Nope, thinkin I'm gonna pass on that one. After that mine-roller on the AFV Centurion Gimel, I'm avoiding putting pretty much any-thang in front of a tank for now. I found this old pic in one of Zaloga's 'Tank Battles of the Mid-East Wars', and really like it.
Riq4gqW.jpg

However, with no experience in figures, not sure if that will happen. I ordered the Legend turret basket stowage for this tank earlier, so at present I otherwise plan on going OOB, unless I have some issues with the two-piece gun tube (Accurate Armour has a solution for that if needed)

I found this old pic in one of Zaloga's 'Tank Battles of the Mid-East Wars', and really like it.
Riq4gqW.jpg
You don't like anything hanging off the front? Oh my!

You're going to have a REAL tough time finding that roller skating dude! The other figures are just passe...

Regards,

yep. there's a set of 'rock-throwing-kids' from Royal that could be modified, but nothing at first blush, and that may be just as well. be interesting to see tho'. I think that pic shows the contrast in that region really well

So just a few hours in and got alot of the suspension done. Did I say I wanted more dee-tail? Well I sure got it! Really a neat setup. The torsion bar suspension is a bit over the top, but it should make for a good product in the end.
9SqtwX7.jpg

Plan is to build up the wheels and tracks as a separate piece. As such i stopped part way thru, and worked on the fenders, which were next up. Those latches are absolutely tiny!!! Had to stop at this point to go have lunch with Bob & Eric:
dczJ0LC.jpg

5BqofQu.jpg

Not sure how much more I can get to before Christmas, but I have the week after off, so hope to at least get the lower half complete by then, we'll see

Wow I can sure see why people prefer Meng products...the detail is just unbelievable! I have decided to follow the kit directions and build up the lower hull with wheels and tracks, and this is going to require some pre-painting...which ain't happening today, so I contented myself with some of the turret. Because the rubber-canvas mantlet is not fully glued in place, I have refrained from mounting the main gun, some of the Balzer armor and the .50 M2 mount. But I mean wow look over that turret casting texture the blazer armor, and the 60mm mortar, with an open muzzle no less!
tLU5e2o.jpg

H9FBAJf.jpg

7To7HDs.jpg

wtcnC2B.jpg

I have also left off some items that are tied to the stowage. Speaking of that, I bought the Legend set for this kit, and it too is gorgeous! But wow LOOK at that sprue that I have to cut off! So thankful I have a respirator and a Harbor-Freight Dremel!
A2Uywfw.jpg

sJHjzDy.jpg

HMH1UaN.jpg

So a lot yet to go, but wow am I ever enjoying this!

OK so I have plans for Tue & Wed, and thunked it bet to take advantage of the warm weather and get the Legend resin item fitted whilst I could. With a cutoff wheel and a drum in the fake Dremel (Remel?) I spent the next 30 minutes breathing thru the respirator as I ground away. check out the before and after on what I had to cut away:
HMH1UaN.jpg

after
rEtCi5b.jpg

The end result really looks fantastic. Here it is ONLY press-fitted. In truth I will have to deal with a tiny gap at one point, but overall I could not be more pleased
L0qqsrc.jpg

gHydPXq.jpg

Hope to have another post related to this by end of week...'til then!!!

Turret purty-much complete. Again I say that I understand why people pony-up for Meng. Everything, from the part arrangements on the trees to the fact that even the smallest parts can only be installed one way really speaks to the engineering.

Still a few bits to attach here and there, but she is looking good, and that resin is the stuff, man. Note that the barrel is only press-fit as it still requires work, but she is otherwise GTG
dC5z7Ne.jpg

cugAkXC.jpg

jNMkUqD.jpg

k4U0biD.jpg

Back