• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Meng 1/35 AMX-30B

Leopard2

Here is my entry for the "Modern Armor". Meng's AMX-30B. I always wanted to build an AMX-30 but I could never get myself to try the old Heller kit. So I am trying my luck with the Meng kit. This is also my first Meng kit I try to build. Well, lets see how this goes.

Joe

I started on the suspension last night and got one side done. I did have some flash to deal with as well as a bend part on the lower hull...that's battle damage now. Here is a little video that shows the AMX-30 in action. It might just be me but I think the suspension sems to be a little to stiff for cross country. Enjoy.

Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqFDOMkhPxk

UPDATE 08292014 Meng 1/35 AMX-30B

I got the suspension done and started on the upper hull. The suspension comes with torsion bars and it actually works. It seems to be a little soft but I will know or sure when the model is finished. Since the kit comes with a few extra track links I tried out the jig that was provided. I must say that I am not convinced about the tracks in this kit. They appear extremely fragile and I am not sure the track runs will be stable enough to stay together. So I am prepared to go the old fashioned way and just glue them together on a piece of tape.

Joe

Since I am on vacation right now you have to be patient before I have another update. If everything goes as planned and I don't encounter any major road blocks this should be a fairly quick build.

Joe

Time for another update. I started working on the upper hull and turret. Unfortunately I lost a few small parts. 2 of the very fragile grab handles broke when I tried to cut them of the sprue and a cpl small parts became victim to the carpet monster. Besides the movable suspension the kit comes with a few more play effects. The commander cuppola rotates and the main gun and the coax 20mm move in elevation independently.I haven't decided yet on the camo. Nato 3-color or OD...that is the question.

Joe

Thanks guys. After looking at a few more pics I start to think that OD is the wrong color. I got my hands on a couple of bottles of Yellow Olive. One is from Vallejo and the other is from Scale Finishes. I think I give that a try.

Joe

Back