• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Meng 1/32 scale Messerschmitt Me 163B in-progress

Thanks Paul, the build quality I did on this model is nothing but shite compared to the O.O.B. Bf 109 build by Dusan but I still appreciate the kind words just the same. :cheer:

Here are some snaps of the pre-shading done on the Komet before the pre-shading is covered up. When I do cover up the pre-shading I will be leaving a little more showing than I usually like to, the reason for this is I want to add all the small data stencils first and then spray on a very thin coat of pale RLM 76 to tone down the starkness of the stencils but still allow the pre-shading to barely be seen.

hc074a85.JPG

he47c9d8.JPG

h1402c1c.JPG

Matrixone

See, I can't think that far ahead on painting. Guess that's why my preshades always fails. Like the little squiggly stuff going on those wing panels also Les, makes it very interesting finish :popcorn

Thanks very much Bob!

The Me 163's were very hi-tech in those days so they were well cared for and did not get very dirty compared to other Axis fighters but I still want just enough pre-shading to be seen to avoid the look of an aircraft in a modern museum.

Matrixone

With you on this one Les, the Komet in Canberra looks like brand new, totally different to the 262 sitting right next to it. The 262 looks like a piece of history and so does the 109, although I am sure there would have been some restoration and painting involved.

Thanks Luiz and dewertus!

The pre-shading has been sprayed over, this turned out pretty well. I left more of the pre-shading showing than I usually would, I will add the small stencil decals and then spray on some highly thinned RLM 76 to blend in the stencil markings and doing this will further tone down the pre-shading to a more realistic looking level. Whenever I pre-shade a model I strive for it to not be too visible after its finished.

h6638f47.JPG

h48cc15e.JPG

h565d6a4.JPG

hf1cd734.JPG

Matrixone

Well using your build as ref I think my next 2 will be better than my first. Love how this is coming together.
James

Thanks guys!

James,
Over at LSP there is another Meng Me 163 being built and that modeler had similar problems with the fit of the wings to the fuselage like I had with my kit. This makes me think of the Eduard Fw 190A/F and how they would sometimes give fit problems regardless of the skill level of the modeler.

Matrixone

Thank you Dave!

No work on the Me 163 today, I want to let the paint dry a full 24 hours before adding the stencils.

Matrixone

The upper surface camo colors have been sprayed on as well as the yellow nose.

h7c3b3e1.JPG

h7a15661.JPG

Here a couple shots of the undersurfaces, the small stencil decals were lightly sprayed over with RLM 76 tinted thinner. They don't look toned down that much here but once the flat clear is sprayed over them it will be much easier to see what I did.
h265fbfb.JPG

h77b3c07.JPG

Next up for this model will be the gloss clear coat and then decals. :dance

Matrixone

This model is getting close to being finished, not too much left to do on it.

As you can see the gloss coat has been sprayed on and all the decals are on it, at a few random places some work with oil paints has been done but that's about as far as I will be going on the weathering since the Me 163 was a very hi-tech aircraft in its day and was well cared for they did not get too dirty or weathered during their short operational life.

hc2c55fd.JPG

h87a2174.JPG

ha754e69.JPG

h09f613c.JPG

h3b2a7cf.JPG

After I add the rest of the small bits to the airframe the airframe will be given an overall semi-gloss finish to represent a waxed and polished finish like many Me 163's had. The landing skid and wheels will be given a flat clear coat.

Matrixone

Back